He missed a chance to be the first Black astronaut. Now, at 90, he's going into space

Thank goodness those great Republicans like JFK and LBJ fought so hard to end discrimination.

Those predisposed to find racism in anything will find racism in everything.

1 Like

From the aticle

“They are not going to let you get in that club.”

Why do you think he wasn’t allowed in that club in the 1960’s. We all know the southern democrats were racist and the Republicans fought tooth and nail for equal rights. And those two guys were ones who wanted a black astronaut so they must have been Republicans.

They fought to end segregation but it took some time, so it was hard for a black man to get into that program. LBJ had to work with racist members of his own party to get the votes he needed to pass the civil rights act. You know, the greatest president in the recorded history of man and “master negotiator” could have taken a cue from LBJ when it came to “repealing and replacing Obamacare”. LBJ “cajoled” his fellow democrats to vote for the bill. MAster negotiator just sat back, and did nothing but insult.

KC sees him as a black man and not a man.

Clearly, it’s the Repugs that are a bunch of racists. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Tell me again why he never got into that test pilot club when he was 30 and why he’s finally getting the chance at 90.

So what’s it like to live in the past?

Reliving the past or trying to apply it to today is a waste of a life.

1 Like

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

[quote=“kcflyer, post:8, topic:91915”]

Its not being repeated in most cases yet the left repeatedly tries to dig it up and affix our modern day woes to it. The truth is the dem party will always need a boogie man to maintain a level of dependency.

Truth is the modern day dem party wants it repeated.

1 Like

YEs. The truth is that it was a two Democrats that pushed the civil rights amendment. One of them had to convince his ADMITTEDLY racist party members to vote for it. But the only part that ever seems to remembered is that in the 50’s and 60’s, democrats were indeed the party of racists. Then the civil rights act was passed and all those racists realized the error of their ways and started voting for Republicans.

It’s one thing to remember it, and another to pretend what happened then is what’s happening now.

1 Like

Only pointing out that I hear how democrats are racists, yet it took a Democrat to cajole members of his own party into passing it. But in the 60’s, despite those efforts, this guy couldn’t make the astronaut corps. Most of the credit seems to have been given to Republicans, since Democrats were just a bunch of racists.

That is what I should have said and left it at that.

1 Like

It is 2024

“Upon entering the flight-test program, Dwight experienced immediate pushback that he says was rooted in racism. He says Chuck Yeager, the famed test pilot who ran the school, resented having to accept a Black candidate. (Yeager, who died in 2020, wrote in his memoir that his only issue was Dwight’s piloting skills, which he described as “average.”)”

What he claims was racism, Chuck Yeager said was only average flying skills. Does that make Yeager racist, or was Dwight feeling entitled? This much later I suspect no one really knows.

Some people remind me of a neighbor’s yapping dog.

Yap yap yap with no regard for what others are saying. Monologue, not dialogue.

Point out the flawed or poorly timed logic, and just more yapping. Very tedious.

1 Like

IT wasn’t when this guy wanted into the astonaut program.

We all get it.

LBJ is a well known racist.

Did LBJ Say ‘I’ll Have Those N*****s Voting Democratic for 200 Years’? | Snopes.com
He also liked to show his penis to everyone.

Did you mean to refer to “those great Democrats like JFK and LBJ,” or were you being sarcastic?