Does anyone remember

Does anyone remember when TV shows had a sponsor instead of tons of commercial breaks and would simply say a few times during the program “and now a word from our sponsor”

It is sometimes scary what I find in my head. I remember Bob Hope doing the Texaco commercials on his show and Death Valley Days sponsored by 20 Mule Team Borax. I remember Sid Caesar’s show being cancelled when it was popular. I didn’t find out until years later that Admiral TV had pulled their sponsorship because the ads had created such a demand for their TVs that they could not produce them that fast.

2 Likes

Jimtoo - That is very interesting. I never knew that was the reason why the Sid Caesar show was cancelled and I had been to Sid Caesar’s house many times because he lived near me when I was growing up and his daughter was a very good friend of mine at the time.

There was one thing about Sid Caesar as a person that really impressed me. He had a deaf chauffeur (called drivers today) for the family because he wanted to provide an opportunity for this disabled person to have a job. So to make it work all of his children learned sign language, at a very early age, so they could communicate with this chauffeur.

1 Like

I recently read Mel Brooks’ autobiography. He had a lot of good things to say about Sid Caesar.

2 Likes

I have it on Audible, I started but have not finished yet.
Did you see “History of the World Part 2” is coming to Hulu?

I saw it was coming, so I have to figure out how to watch it.

I have a Brooks’ DVD box with his first 8 movies.

I have to go to the library to get History Part One so my kids can watch it before we start Part Two.
My daughter is addicted to Blazing Saddles like I am.

I watched it a few years ago with my kid, he didn’t get into it which is odd, we both have the same sense of humor. Same with Airplane.

Have you had him watch “Spinal Tap” yet?
I literally had to pause at least 3 times for my kids to say how great of a movie it was.

No, I’ve searched for it on Roku a few times but it wasn’t available on any of my channels. We both like the same TV shows, Simpsons, Arrested Development, It’s Always Sunny, Rick and Morty, Archer and a few others.

For having as many viewing options as I have I can’t seem to find a lot of older movies I want to see.

I had to borrow it from the library.

1 Like

Things have a way of coming full circle.

We bought a big screen rear projection TV in 2006 for our basement, top of the line at the time.
Over 12 years later the screen started going a little dark. My wife was wanting to buy a new TV.
My son and I were able to replace the bulb for less than $35. We just bought a new one last year, not because it went bad, but my wife didn’t want the big, bulky rear projection anymore.

1 Like

I remember going to the local Ace Hardware with my dad as a young kid, they had a tester for the tubes. I also remember paying our electric bill there and getting free lightbulbs for some reason.

1 Like

Yep, me too. I grew up in Michigan and Detroit Edison gave away free light bulbs. In the early 1970s, a drug store sued Edison alleging an unfair trade practice because he could not compete with free lightbulbs. Edison won at trial and in the 6th Circuit, but SCOTUS overturned those decisions and no more free bulbs.

1 Like

2 Likes

I remember, like to have fell out of my chair laughing.

1 Like

My parents had five children and we were all able to sit in a regular car comfortably- three in front seat and four in back seat.

2 Likes

I have great memories of the copter club in the Pan Am building where you could enjoy a drink with amazing views of New York City.