Do clothes affect how people behave

Do you think there is any relationship between how a person dresses and how they act?

Not really. Take for example the really rich guy who was our last president. He could afford some really nice suits…something to make a person look respectable. Yet he behaved like a petulant child.

Yes, clothing to a well-known way to communicate to others or express themselves.

A person in a suit tends to want to look important. A person in jeans wants to be seen as casual.

A woman who shows a lot of boob either wants to impress or be noticed.

I typically wearn jeans and t shirts. I don’t want to be seen as stuffy.

2 Likes

I think it is definitely possible. This makes me think of an old episode of Barney Miller that I saw recently where the detectives were all required to wear NYPD blue uniforms for a day. Detective Harris was trying his best to avoid doing so, and Barey finally let him have it really hard. Later, Wojo, who had heard what happened, told Barney that he thought that perhaps Barney being in his uniform might have affected how he addressed Harris, noting that the uniform can give you a sense of power that you don’t have in civilian clothes.

I remember watching that and thinking that Harris had it coming to him and that Barney was totally justified both in what he said and in how he said it. Still, the part about the uniform was a different perspective that I had not thought of.

I just found the episode on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCbRmuRy3M

1 Like

To whom it may concern:

If I wanted this thread to be political I would have put it in the politics section of this forum. So I would appreciate it if you would either respond to my post without being political or keep your paws off the keyboard when I start threads that are NOT political

Yes, how people dress effect how they behave. If someone dresses like a thug they’ll act like a thug, if they dress like a productive member of society they’ll act as such.

My attire varies. Work clothes are business casual. Even the multi millionaires I work with are business casual. I only wear a suit to weddings and funerals. The biker funeral I went to a couple weeks ago was jeans and polo and I was over dressed.

When not at work, my attire is more of working class person. Jeans often stained or ripped, and dickie work shirts (one I’m wearing as I type is long sleeve with welding burns in sleeves and a rip on the side). If you met me on the average weekend, you would likely miss judge me as I don’t fit into the average cpa crowd. I’d rather go drink a cheap beer at someone garage and eat a average burger than go to the country club. I grew up lower-middle class and that is where I fit in despite having a upper middle class income.

1 Like

I didn’t intend to turn it political. I simply pointed out that the man dresses well, but behaves badly. So in answer to your question - no, clothes don’t affect how people behave.

Even though I’m now retired, we’ve got a whole lot in common.

I could probably write a thesis on this topic.
Short answer, yes it does affect how you behave, and also how people treat you, which can actually increase the effect.
But, there are exceptions to everything.
Had a presentation last week to management.
Two guys in upper management, both in suits.
One was frumpy and wrinkled, the other was well fit, probably tailored, pressed, and super sharp.
Frumpy is highly intelligent and competent, tailored and pressed is an idiot.

2 Likes

Kind of like when a clean person is not that intelligent but a messy person is a genius

Usually those who are less intelligent focused more on the life skills and less on the reading while some that are more intelligent didn’t spend as much time focusing on appearance

Likewise. I probably make a lower income than as I am an accountant but not a CPA but I also like being business casual or wearing polos. But yes I feel more comfortable with people that are working class than people who are upper class

I buy most of my clothes at Costco or consignment shops. I wear suits to weddings and funerals and usually just a old sport coat to lector at church. Often times I wear the minimum for such an occasion such as khakis, loafers, and shirt. Can’t make a tie despite volunteering in a semi-formal place for 10 years

I prefer the old way of work dress.

It said I am at work. My casual clothes said I am not at work.

Now it all blurs which I don’t like.

1 Like

I kind of agree with that, depending on the job.
I like to “dress up” for work.
I will wear slacks and a dress shirt most days, some days only khakis and a polo.
And some days casual, which is either really nice jeans, or khakis and a sweater or sweatshirt.

I hate dressing up for work but I think it’s good.

I am old enough to remember when people dressed up to go to the airport and flying was a wonderful experience. Is there any relationship between the fact that many people dress like slobs now when they fly and don’t know how to behave in a civilized manner when they do?

1 Like

I actually do enjoy it.
My closet is ridiculous.

Probably most people think the plane is the bus

It’s not the EXPERIENCE it once was

1 Like

I agree. Restaurant’s also have become more casual, we go to dives and low-mid priced restaurants occasionally but it’s nice to go to a place with a dress code, the overall experience is usually much better.

And we’re also likely to keep our rambunctious kids out of there too out of respect for the ambiance. It takes time for kids to mature and learn self discipline but it’s a parents job to set guardrails so their kids are eventually likeable. Some kids like me made that incredibly difficult. Other kids are just more obedient. Pros that think kids will just comply are fools as it should be the expectation that kids test authority

My ADHD was made better with good parenting. Kids with ADHD do well WITH discipline as it honors their need for structure and predictably. The kid may want spontaneity but needs consistency. Giving unearned rewards will raise a brat as rewards need to be earned to encourage desired behavior

Too many kids “have ADHD” due to poor parenting. What I mean by this is they don’t have ADHD but are undisciplined. I have ADHD. I needed strict. Having clear expectations allows someone with ADHD to do their best and so we don’t need pansy parents