Is it true that if you’re catholic and you go into a confessional you’re Scott free but if you go to a Protestant pastor, he’ll take you down to the jail
Just another benefit of being Catholic assuming you don’t just confess but ask to go to confession
Protestants don’t have a “confession”.
We have a general group confessional statement during the service.
At least that is how I have always done it during a Lutheran service.
I have never had a one on one confessional with any Lutheran pastor.
It’s a little more complicated than that. I posted a story recently how my parish priest had a court case over it.
It isn’t called confession anymore. It’s called reconciliation. While people still call it that. It’s not the name of it.
Here is an article on it.
Father Tim is awesome. Some lady got shitty because he wouldn’t denounce Trump. He said he’s heard to speak the word of god and not politics. Politics don’t belong in his church.
His sermons are solid.
I seriously doubt he’s a Trump supporter. He just like to stick to the teaching of Jesus. From there you can figure out who he aligns with.
Nope…you have to confess because all that is being absolved is the sins you confess. My grandmother on my dads side was the daughter of a Baptist minister. She did not like my mother because she was Catholic, but she never let on to her grandkids, which I am thankful for since I felt my mother was an angel on earth. She only said that they don’t go to confession, but rather, they confess their sins alone with God. I kind of liked that description. Talking one on one with God was far more comfortable that mustering up the courage to tell someone else the bad things you did
The point of confession is telling the someone the bad things you did as your actions harm the community. You have to make a reconciliation for those sins.
Just telling god doesn’t absolve you. You have to right the wrong.
I never knew how ingrained that was in me till a friend mentioned it the other day. She said, when someone dies you wrong, you don’t expect an apology. You expect them to right the wrong.
And God is all knowing, so he already knows. And if I talk to him, he should understand me. Today I feel that God has bigger fish to fry than to watch ever person to put a mark down for every time they fuck up. And my father, who never converted, made me think when he said “if God is all forgiving, how can he send people to hell”.
As for hell…during my growing up years of the 60’s, Catholics learned that non catholics would go to hell and Protestants said that Catholics and Jews would go to hell. My mother was Catholic and my Father was not. They passed in the early 2000’s and thankfully, I am past the point of worrying about which one of them I won’t be seeing when I die, but at least when I die, I’ll see one of them.
A man died and went to heaven.
Saint Peter was showing him around and pointed to a nice area and said “that is where the Protestants are”. Showed another area and said “that is where the Jewish people are”. One more area and said “that is where the Muslims are”.
The man saw a an area in the distance and started to ask a question and Saint Peter said “SHHHH, that is the Catholics, they don’t know the rest of us are up here”.
If I have a mortal sin on my soul and I die, somebody has to determine where I go, and it isn’t the community
If I commit adultery, how does this hurt the community? If I don’t honor the lords day, how is the community hurt? If I bear false witness against my neighbor, it’s a mortal sin, yet this is how most in Congress got elected. And they never apologize to the community for the damage they caused
I like the way the local priest talks about things. His comments are in the blog he has, which I linked to, and I do read.
While he doesn’t speak out against Trump directly, I think he clearly doesn’t agree with the man. As he said, his job is to talk about Jesus and not politicians.
When I read his writings, I struggle to disagree with anything he says. Basically, be like Jesus. Be a good person.
The situation seems similar to being a business owner. Addressing politics head on is a good way to alienate many of your customers and lose revenue/influence.
The priest needs his congregation’s tithes/offerings, and he needs their trust and respect in order to grow his influence in the community.
Preaching that orange man is bad, or good, is a great way to cut those things by 30% or more.