Boycott over name

Native American Uproar - ‘Redskins’ Return Demanded or Face Massive National Boycott! (msn.com)

Some days you just can’t win

1 Like

I don’t recall a loud outcry from the Native American community, but a very loud outcry from mostly non-Native Americans who thought the NAs should be offended.

The reason they can’t win is because they screwed up by changing the name in the first place.

Full disclosure, a friend of mine is a member of NAGA and has been interviewed several times recently.

This is going to pick up steam.

100%, it was butt hurt white people who were “offended”.

2 Likes

Here in Kansas they hold one of the biggest gravel bicycle races in the world that used to be called “The Dirty Kanza”. It’s a 200 mile race over gravel roads that are…well…dirty. There are creeks they have to cross and often times there has been rain, making things - dirty. It’s done on Kanza prairie near Emporia, KS. Thousands of riders from all over the world compete. But the Kanza prairie was named after the Kaw (Kanza) tribe, hence the name. BUT…the founder of the race posted on his personal facebook page that the police shooting of Rayshard Brooks was justified. At that point he was deemed to be a racist. And obviously an event founded by him with the word “dirty” in it’s name was also obviously racist. Prior to this they actually met with leaders of the tribe who did not take any offense to it.

As for the Redskins - I was a huge Dallas fan in the 70’s and 80’s and their biggest rivalry was with the Redskins. If you asked me or any of the Dallas or Redskins fans back then to do a word association game back then, if the word was “Redskins”, the immediate answer was “football”

I will restate my earlier prediction that the Washington Football Team will never revert to its previous name. I will also add that I don’t see that movement picking up enough steam to make a difference, and I also see a lot of hyperbole in their statements.

1 Like

I don’t have a lot of native friends. They’re just not that common where I’m from.

My friend that is native, doesn’t care. His dad loves anything that references the natives. Apache helicopter. Chiefs. Red skins.

Maybe, but a lot less than the statements of the people that fought to get the Redskin name changed to begin with.

The Chiefs will likely be the next target. There is nothing offensive about the name Chiefs. There is nothing offensive about the name Braves. There is nothing offensive about the name Indians. I will admit that the “Tomahawk Chop” used by Chiefs and Braves fans could be construed to be offensive. And “Chief Wahoo” ,the old Cleveland mascot was a tad racist. I wonder though…since the Tomahawk chop has been going on longer than I’ve lived in KC (35 years) if they changed the name, I doubt the chop would stop. Same thing with the Braves.

The problem is everyone wants to break things into monolithic groups. Some indians may be mad over the name and others embrace it with pride.
Democrats think all groups think the same. They don’t. As I said my friends dad loved anything named after indians. He felt it kept them in the minds of people and feared being forgotten.

They already are by some dipshits.
The KC Star has had some “guest columnists” write about it.
And one of the morons on the Jackson County Legislature is asking all of the candidates for the Sports Authority if they are offended by the “chop”.

Almost all polls show that 80-85% support the name Redskins.

Of Natives?

I honestly don’t know enough natives to know how big of an issue it is. I know three and they’re all family members who have a similar opinion on the topic.

Yes.

The area I grew up is on a Reservation so I have been around them my entire life.
One of the funniest quotes from the friend of mine that is associated with NAGA is how he doesn’t understand how in the hell the white people defeated his people.

As a Navajo told me, there’s just too many of you white people.

Easy, disease.

I think people forget how much disease crippled the natives. Also in fighting, since they never teamed up against us, otherwise they would have kicked us out. The natives outnumber us early on. Guns are given too much credit as the arrow was more accurate, faster shooting, and had a longer distance.

Correct, we brought illness that they had never encountered and had no natural immunity to.

For an example of hyperbole, from the article you posted earlier:

“Our fight is to reinstate this because it was taken away without consulting us, without any of our approval,” Dieckman said

Thst group never owned the name in the first place, and the team did not need this group’s approval to do anything.

Billy (who is my friend) is not saying that the name “belonged” to them.
He is saying that the rich heritage and history behind the name was taken from them.

Read the rest of that article or listen to Billy on some podcast and you will see that his stance is based on facts.

That’s basically what my friends dad felt about Indian names. Their visibility was good. It reminds people of the people who were here before.