We're 6 months into Microsoft's campaign to fix Windows 11

I can’t overstate how much I despise the modern Microsoft corporation.

They get massive income streams from incompetent bureaucracies worldwide, both corporate and governmental, and they still cannot seem to make a product that isn’t complete shit.

I guess product quality was never the goal. Widespread addiction to their mediocre product was. Same issue deep underway with Amazon btw.

When my current PC dies, I’m switching to Mac.

I don’t want the wild west risks of Linux, and I’m not going to pay for Google’s cloud services via Chromebook.

I’ll happily eat the premium for the Apple machine, even if the break even takes 15 years.

Roast in hell, Microsoft :-1:

I have been running Linux Mint for over a decade. I think in that time I’ve used the wild west command line maybe a dozen times, and even then, it’s getting much easier to find out how to do something with a google search that some Linux geek message boards where they sneer at someone wanting to learn something.

The current Linux Mint reminds me a lot of Windows 98. Straightforward and very easy to use. There are some programs, such as Quicken, that won’t run under Linux, without the “wild west” WINE, and it doesn’t run gaming software, but I do use it for web browsing and my financial software (all free BTW) It is surprisingly easy to use anymore. You can test it out if you want using Pendrive Linux and boot from a USB drive into Linux. That’s how I got started, and I liked it well enough I just clicked the Install button and never looked back.

I actually didn’t know that was a real thing. I was using that phrase as a figure of speech for what I assume is loose security architecture relative to the behemoth corporate OS systems.

Sounds like Linux has been a positive experience for you overall? And also sounds like there are work-arounds to uncooperative programs/apps?

Years ago, everybody was afraid of Linux because a lot had to be done thru the command line. But it’s rare that I ever use it…and even then, it’s more for “cosmetic” issues and not operational. Any peripheral equipment I have - Printer, camera, wireless keyboard and mouse - are all literally plug and play. Updates are only when YOU decide to install them, but that can be largely automated. And system updates can be done in the background while you are using the computer…sometimes you need to restart, but most times you don’t. There is a plethora of “free” software in the software repository. It looks remarkably like Windows 98. Here’s a screenshot. I’ve just found it to be very easy to use and very reliable.

Thanks man, that’s solid.

I’m definitely not afraid of the command line. Google and ChatGPT have made those into a nothing burger.

Any security concerns, scares, or incidents?

In15 years - zero scares or incidents.

1 Like

Linux is a behemoth corporate os system. Don’t kid yourself. It’s the bastard child of Unix.

Look at who contributes to Linux. It’s all large corporations

I have experimented with Linux and if I could Quicken with out WINE I would use it.

I agree that MS has become garbage.