Weird things

The Saturday before Christmas, I took a fall and landed on my face, breaking my glasses. My distance vision has been poor since before I was a teenager. I went to the eye doctor to get my eyes checked and fitted for new glasses. My eye doctor told me about a supplement called astaxanthin, which studies have shown have done things that improve eye health.

That was a week ago, and while I was at the eye doctor, my distance vision sucked as usual. But in the past couple of days, I have noticed that I can see much better without glasses. IT’s still blurry, but I can watch the TV that’s 10 feet across the room and see the images and read any words. While it’s a little blurry, the fact that I can see things that far away is weird. I have no idea why my vision has suddenly improved.

When I fell, I landed on my left eye, but my right eye is the one that is improved…did the fall have something to do with it? Did the supplement have anything to do with it? I’m not complaining, but after not being able to see anything clearly when it was more than 5 feet away, it’s kind of odd to be watching TV without glasses.

It isn’t unheard of.

From the link;

" 1970s Radial Keratotomy

Throughout the late 1970s, a procedure called Radial Keratotomy (RK), which shares similarities with LASIK, was performed in the United States. The procedure was originally developed by Svyatoslov Fyodorov in 1974. Dr Fyodorov was a Russian ophthalmologist whose discovery came from the treatment of a young boy who had fallen off his bike and shattered his eyeglasses. The accident had lodged glass particles in both his eyes. After Dr Fyodorov removed the glass particles and the boy’s corneas healed, Fyodorov discovered that the boy’s nearsightedness had significantly improved because the radial cuts to the cornea from the glass fragments had flattened his corneas. Although greeted with much skepticism, the operation was also wildly popular. Dr. Fyodorov later developed high-tech assembly-line operating rooms for RK surgery where patients on operating tables rotated from one doctor to another, each responsible for part of the procedures, which were completed in about 15 minutes."

But there was no glass in my eye. the left lens was scraped up badly, but the right lens was intact, but the frames were destroyed. I had no cuts on my eye.

Looking at Web MD…

Overview

Astaxanthin is a red pigment that belongs to a group of chemicals called carotenoids. It occurs in certain algae and causes the pink-red color in salmon.

Astaxanthin is an antioxidant. This effect might protect cells from damage. Astaxanthin might also improve the way the [immune system](Immune System (Human Anatomy) - Components & Purpose) functions.

People use astaxanthin for many purposes, including Alzheimer disease, athletic performance, aging skin, muscle soreness from exercise, and many others. But there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

===
Sounds Beneficial built no mention of eyes or vision.

I also have eye issues and was looking for more info.

I will mention it to my eye doc.

Here is an article about it

Here is one with a lot of ten dollar words in it. I’ve found that British medical journals are far easier to understand than American ones

I have no idea if it’s this supplement or the fall that triggered the improvements. If it was the latter, I really don’t recommend that method.