Top 25 cities with the best quality of life

A few of those cites have very nice suburbs but I wouldn’t want to live in the city itself.

2 Likes

Great cities I’m sure but I’m surprised most of them are in the snow belt.

1 Like

Looks like they considered air quality, but not weather.

2 Likes

Let’s face it, there’s more shit to do when you’re near mountains, and mountain typically get snow. I think people that live there deal with it all the time and it’s not an issue. As for me, I could see relocating north. I’m retired and have a RV so I can boogie out for a month if the weather is too depressing.

In 1985 we moved from Manhattan to a suburb of Rochester NY because they wanted my husband to be the Director of the Monroe County Public Safety Lab and was willing to pay him more than he was getting as the Director of the New York City Crime Lab. Considering the cost of living in Manhattan and living in Rochester it was an offer he couldn’t refuse. Even though we were concerned that we would not have the amenities of living in New York we were pleasantly surprised. When we lived in Rochester we frequently went to the symphony, theater, museums, and the suburb we lived in had excellent public schools. Our daughter was in third grade when we moved there and was a Freshman at Northwestern when we moved to Connecticut. My husband and I felt that the Rochester area was a great place to raise a family.

1 Like

When my kid was deciding where to live after graduation he had it narrowed down to somewhere he could bike, hike, climb and be close enough to concerts and fun stuff. He likes the beach and big cities, but not to live. He decided on Madison Wisconsin (number 3 on the list) because it had pretty much everything he was looking for, he has a couple buddies that live there and is an hour and a forty minutes from “home”. He’s only been there a few months but really likes it.

A decade ago, we were hiring someone to work for us for Bakersfield College. The candidate we eventually hired asked in her interview what we liked about living in Bakersfield (I live about an hour north, but was on the committee.) She later reminded us that every one of our answers were about things Bakersfield was close to–mountains, beach, bigger cities just a couple of hours away… Not one of us said anything positive about living in Bakersfield.

And, although she was one of the best people I ever worked with, she and her husband hated living there, and left us after just under 5 years.

Johnny Carson said a joke about Bakersfield about 50 years ago. That perception of the town stuck. I’ve been here since 1959.

Very familiar with Ann Arbor. As the saying goes, nice place but I wouldn’t want to live there. Everything is more expensive there and the egos of people who are affiliated with UofM are big enough to push you out of their way. I would rather live in Grand Rapids, although the weather is a bit harsher. I’ve spent some time in Boulder. It’s Ann Arbor in the mountains.

Mork landed there; isn’t that good enough?

(Currently reading the Robin Williams biography.)

One thing that may influence these cites is that many of them have a good university. A significant number of people develop a fondness for where they are educated and decide to live there after they graduate. In addition, universities frequently provide many amenities for the communities where they are located.

1 Like

When Mork landed there, it was a very different place than today.

Interesting that the vast majority of these cities are in blue counties. I think Boise may be the only exception. In the “swing states” it looks like they are university towns, which are usually blue.

Not a fan of Hartford or New Haven as I’ve been to Wallingford on hikes but love Worcester and Portland Maine. Anyone know Madison? Boulder is NOT my cup of tea nor would be Austin or Asheville

I don’t like the college vibe - leave the 60s behind

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.