This is why you don’t trust the “experts”

The Kansas City Royals want to fleece the taxpayers for a downtown stadium. The “expert” that is being paid by them has publicly stated that there is already enough parking downtown and there is no need for a parking lot at the stadium.

I work downtown, this is a picture tonight at 5 pm.

Like, no parking lot at all?

Some stadiums do really well by connecting to public transit and such. But they’d still usually have some parking.

I will regurgitate an old post of mine that fits well with this theme.

Yep, literally no parking lot.
Allegedly enough parking within a 10 minute walk.
Three problems, if there is anything else going on those spaces are taken.
Some of those spaces are taken by people who actually work downtown.
Nobody needs to be walking downtown KC at 1030-1100 at night!!

Yeah, I’ve never been there, but that doesn’t pass the smell test.

Yes it’s been a disaster. Giving free $$$ to attract teams or the Olympics is to trash your city

The only place where Olympics or sports teams work for a city is Disney or Hollywood make-believe

Wrigley Field never had parking, most people use public transportation and they have shuttle buses from remote lots a few miles away. Also local businesses will rent out parking spots for a ridiculous amount on game day. I used walk there when I lived in the city.

Chicago has a far better public transit system than KC. Our system is a trolley that runs up and down main street. I think the city is hoping that people will park at Union Station a mile or so away and take the trolley. But the bulk of the parking is near the Power and Light entertainment district and Sprint Center which are 3 blocks away. P&L is busy by itself but if there is an event at Sprint Center (the Big 12 Tournament is this week) they will close streets and parking is very hard to find. If this passes they will displace a lot of small businesses. If they have to build parking, they will displace more. Part of the plan for the baseball stadium is to build an “entertainment district” but there is already an entertainment district less than 3 blocks away.

The thing I don’t like is that they are using the Chiefs success to scare people as the sales tax extension is supposed to build a downtown stadium for the Royals but to upgrade the existing Arrowhead stadium. The ads they run on the radio imply that if it doesn’t pass, the Chiefs might leave. I have heard that if it fails, there is another measure that is only for the Chiefs. It has a far better chance of passing.

That is where I took this picture.