The $185 million campaign to keep Uber and Lyft drivers as contractors in California

Sponsored by Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, Instacart and Postmates, California Proposition 22 would exempt drivers for their services from the rules of AB-5. The Nov. 2020 vote will decide if drivers are independent contractors or employees with benefits.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_tech/~3/AgJoqbPvq-w/index.html

If I remember right, you and I disagree on this.
I think the gig economy workers have more flexibility as contract workers and will actually lose a lot of freedom if classified as employees.

Sounds like the drivers want to stay contractors. Like everything else if they get all the benefits the cost will be to the consumer. I don’t use rides, but I do use instacart.

If the drivers are happy being contractors so am I.

Nobody is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to drive. They set their hours and choose who they want to give rides to. This hardly sounds like a employee relationship to me. These apps are simply providing a service that matches drivers with passengers and handles the payments. This is really no different then ebay, VRBO, and others. They match buyers and sellers and handle the payment and any disputes. If a uber driver is an employee in California than the ebay seller and VRBO host is also an employee. It just doesn’t make any sense.

One of the issues is they don’t pay things such as unemployment. They’re supposed to but most don’t. Now with Covid we have to pay them but they never paid into the system.