Tesla's Dirty Secret

" Eleven states require automakers sell a certain percentage of zero-emissions vehicles by 2025. If they can’t, the automakers have to buy regulatory credits from another automaker that meets those requirements – such as Tesla, which exclusively sells electric cars."

I’m not sure how this I’d a secret. It’s very well known.

You just found out about this?

Now if that insane piece of regulation did not exist, could Elon book revenue that way?

So who is at fault, really? The board at Tesla, or the liberal economic illiterates that dreamed up the regulatory credit system?

THINK ABOUT THIS: Suppose that government issued a decree mandating that citizens should be able to jump higher every year. You think the distance would increase every year to infinity? Or would it plateau? Trees don’t grow to the clouds. Neither does gas mileage.

I agree that the gas mileage will plateau at some point.

However, they are a long way from the plateau and until gas engines reach that plateau the legislation has proven effective.

May be irrelevant of electric cars become the majority.

How do you know how much efficiency potential is left? Are you an engineer? We are already trading some reliability for higher mileage.

Let electrics freely compete in the marketplace without government mileage mandates or electric subisidies. See which one satisfies consumers most.

You do know in colder climates, turning on the heat reduces range quite a lot? Whereas IC engine cars utilize waste heat, and heating the cabin costs nothing in efficiency.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.