Stock market today

Easy…the market tanked because investors were unsure about war in the Ukraine. Now that they have one, all is well and we can go back to buying until investors sense the possibility of a world war. But enjoy while you got it. Those investors…you gotta love them.

I think they are hoping that this mess will delay or tame the looming interest rate hikes.

It doesn’t make sense. Not sure why it’s rallying.

You’re an investor yourself, Einstein.

Sorry, but that is baloney. No cabal of men should set interest rates. They should go up when demand for lending increases, and go down when demand for lending decreases.

For every debtor helped by low interest rates, there is a saver clobbered by it.

Good time to by defense contractors like LMT. Won’t buy Raytheon because it is disgustingly woke.

THis is why I hate the fucking stock market. STocks plummet out of fears that Putin might attack. Supposedly these bastards are “forward looking” and they feared an attack. THEN their fears are realized because Putin attacks, and the next damned day, stocks rally. I guess because a nuke wasn’t deployed in the first couple of days, all is well. But if I was a forward looking thinker, I’d give the war at least a week before I got my confidence back.

I’ll bet you don’t hate it enough to pull your retirement savings out of it.

Then again, if you had done exactly that & invested it in Bitcoin back in 2016, you’d be a gajillionaire now.

How angry does that make you?

Which is why the central bank is such poison. It is really what makes the rich richer and poor poorer, by enabling filthy rich looters.

Same for labor. Every white collar employee that makes a killing under low interest rates is offset by a dozen blue collar workers that are priced out of a job and/or home.

The stock market is for long-term investing, so over the long-term, these things even out and stocks tend to go up over time, more than other places you can put your $. If you’re thinking short-term, you might panic over these changes. But you miss out on the opportunity cost of what you would have earned if you’d stayed in.

I understand that. But I wish taht long term investments were controlled more by long term interests instead of short term panic. You and me and anybody here who fancies themselves a stock market tycoon have very little impact on what the market does. But the “big boys” are guiding it, and they seem very much short term. The market tanks because of fears of war. Then war starts. And stocks recover the next day. Please…explain the long term logic to me.

Exactly…trying to time things or watching your balance dip 20k is frustrating. Index investing in good times and bad is the way to go…the S&P 500 typically beats most individual stocks. Over time, there is no better wealth generator.

It’s not about logic. Never has been. It is herd mentality.

You don’t get to have your cake and eat it too. Investments don’t just march upwards forever without short-term swings propelled by investor sentiment.

If you don’t like it, you are welcome to invest in a different vehicle. Good luck.

Yep, buy and hold until you’re getting close to retirement then put it in boring dividend stocks and sit back and relax. If you’re retired and are worrying about the market everyday you’re in the wrong investments.

I disagree with the last sentence. I think Real Estate is the best wealth generator of all time and the most tax-advantaged asset class. I don’t even think its close…

You’re probably right, but a lot of people don’t want the hassle of being a landlord. I have a couple buddies that own rentals and have done very well. I told my kid when he buys his first place get a duplex and live on one side and rent out the other for a few years, then keep it for income and buy a single family to live in.

Ill give you that, but there are swings in real estate and downturns that can last 10 years or more. Thing i like about index funds are any idiot can buy in. Real estate takes a lot more research and has a little more risk.

For me that’s put spreads

I reversed about 2/3 of my losses today by having an 18% gain. That said, it accounts for 2% of the portfolio so it’s a very tiny gain