Star Student with 100 GPA Denied Admission to Dream School

If her dream school is in NYC, she needs to expand her horizons.

Bad choice.

2 Likes

She should have identified as a black trans woman and she would be in…

1 Like

It’s high school. She doesn’t have a lot of say in it.

She is learning one of life’s lessons.

This doesn’t sound like as big of a travesty as it is being portrayed.
It is grouping the high achievers together, it isn’t like some slacker is getting her spot.
And the COVID reactions did skew a lot of scores due to online or remote learning.

1 Like

True, but if you try sometime, you get what you need.

1 Like

To quote Homer Simpson, “trying is the first step towards failure”.

I agree, if there are only so many spots there’s not much they can do. They could rank the applicants by GPA, standardized test scores, etc but that still might not work.

I would like to share some background about Townsend Harris High School. It was originally established as a NYC public high school located in Manhattan for gifted children in 1904. An IQ test was required and its highly selective admissions policy was based on academic excellence. One of the best things about Townsend Harris High School was that it gave an opportunity for children of immigrants who were very intelligent to have the same quality of education that a wealthy kid had at an elitist prep school.

Then during the early forties NYC Mayor LaGuardia closed Townsend Harris High School because he felt that a high school for gifted children was “a non essential educational institution”.

In 1984 it was refounded in Queens .A few years ago former Mayor de Blasio decided that it was discriminatory to have admissions requirements that were based on merit and that every student in New York City should have an opportunity to go there. That is why they now have a lottery instead of a merit based admissions policy.

I am proud to say that my father, who had a 165 IQ and was a genius based on any definition of the word, is an alumnus of the original Townsend Harris High School. He also told me that the level of competition at that high school was even greater than in college and medical school.

2 Likes

Famous Alumni from Townsend Harris High School which include Jonas Salk, who developed the vaccine for polio, and Ira Gershwin.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.