Sports Stadium math

There is a “race to the bottom” in who is going to be grifted by the KC Chiefs and Royals going on right now.
But the talking head elected officials apparently can’t do basic math when it comes to subsidies.

Kansas plan to lure Chiefs could include $1 billion bond backed by sports gambling funds (yahoo.com)

They talk about a $1 billion dollar bond, when the actual revenue is about $6 million per year.

Sports stadiums are great. They create a lot of high paying jobs and generate tax revenue to pay for themselves ten times over. Cities should be bending over backwards to build them.
:grinning: :wink:

I’d support public money if they’d support public pricing.

I’m against corporate welfare from the federal government, but I’m more open to local projects if the local voters want them and they make sense financially. Most stadium projects don’t make sense financially for the taxpayers.

Amazingly, we just overwhelmingly voted against a fiscally horrid proposal.
My faith in society is restored in a small way.

In Kansas City, originally most of the season tickets were owned by people in Kansas.

They didn’t pay the taxes for the stadiums

I wouldn’t be so against funding the stadiums if tickets went to locals and the pricing was reasonable.

Otherwise why do I want to pay more in taxes so people in Kansas can enjoy the stadium ?

In some cities, the cost of the tax contribution is in the ticket price. But that doesn’t stop the ticket prices from soaring.

I rarely go to sports events for that reason. It use to be cheap entertainment. It’s no longer cheap

They’re bending over all right.