Sports stadium financing, an honest article

Bring back the Kansas City Scouts.
[/quote]

I would get at least a partial season ticket package

Here is an article from earlier this year detailing opposition to the referendums.

The article mentions some things that people said was why they voted no, but I think people in Phoenix simply don’t care about the Coyotes. I also think many strongly dislike the current team ownership and don’t want to give them a penny or change any existing laws. FWIW, we have a niece that lives in Tempe and I suspect she voted no because she couldn’t care less about professional sports.

So, from what I can tell, the opposition wasn’t due to money, but due to not wanting to use that land for this type of development.
To be fair, if this type of a plan was put forward to me, I would probably vote for it.
IMO, this land is going to sit vacant now and not bring in any revenue.
(now, also to be fair, there is valid concern that the owner won’t pay his bills).

And for another possible relocation site:
https://thehockeynews.com/news/will-the-arizona-coyotes-move-to-utah

Mayor Q agrees with me!!

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article275503631.html

Somebody mentioned the “Winter Classic” at Arrowhead!!!

I wonder if it is possible for the team to relocate in time for the upcoming season, as the piece extolling Salt Lake City says. It should be obvious to even Gary Bettman now that the Coyotes are a lost cause in Arizona.

Agreed, I am not in favor of public funding for stadiums, but this vote was a middle finger to the franchise.

I suspect that Bettman was holding SLC for the next expansion. I wonder if his ego can handle admitting defeat and moving the Coyotes there.

I hadn’t thought of Salt Lake City as a leading contender for an NHL franchise until I read that. I also don’t know how soon the NHL will expand again.

And, for a take on one possible problem with Salt Lake City’s arena:

Thought I’d cite this because I had not considered Houston as an option.

From what I have read, Houston was always an attractive option. It has an NHL- ready arena, large market, good geographic location for both current divisions and rivalries, plus an older history with the WHA, though that is admittedly very dated.

Houston would be a valid landing spot.
I can’t honestly believe that Atlanta is even mentioned.

True, but Gordie Howe and his sons played for the WHA Aeros.

I remember many years ago when there was talk about the Edmonton Oilers possibly relocating to Houston and becoming the Houston Oilers. This was after the NFL Oilers had left. I bet Bud Adams would have had something to say about that.

Edit: Here is a good article I just found:

The Islanders should have to change their name but, then again, there is the Utah Jazz.

I don’t understand why Hamilton keeps popping up as a potential site. That’s about 40 miles from Toronto and 60 miles from Buffalo (and about 200 miles from Detroit). I wonder if the thinking is that they will draw Toronto fans who can’t get tickets to see the Maple Leafs crash.

I remember both the Penguins and the Islanders using KC for leverage./

I don’t know how much it has since Jim Balsillie faded from the picture.

Our niece from Tempe was in town over the weekend. She was very opposed to the new arena and happy the vote failed. She wasn’t active in the fight against it, but did not believe Meruelo would live up to his word on funding or performance of whatever he would agree to do. Apparently, Meruelo has become very untrustworthy in the Phoenix area and burned more bridges than I had expected. How this plays out with Bettman and the NHL will be interesting.

She also said that there is no other available landfill space in Tempe so one would have to find one away from the area, as well as a space to store collected recyclables, and the residents would likely lose their free compost.

I saw this over the week-end:

The Hartford Whalers had one of the best logos in the history of the NHL. Unfortunately, that is about the best thing about that franchise’s history there. Hartford never made much sense for a professional sports team, sandwiched between Boston and New York. I don’t know why the NHL would go back there.

Maybe @BridgeMaven will have some thoughts on this.

Edit: Here is the old Hartford Whalers logo: