Should I be Honest with Job Applicants?

Exactly. My landlord buddy knows other landlords that won’t rent to single mothers because they’ve had major problems in the past, they don’t tell them that’s the reason they just rent to an equal or better qualified person.

“We have found another applicant that more closely meets the job requirements.”

EOS

I also wonder if you are bidding a competitive wage. Seems likely you would have a greater selection of applicants if so.

Today is a showdown with a young recent hire. She has been late to work almost every single day. She runs out of money and wants to get paid early. She signed an employment contract stating no face piercings except ears and continues to wear her nose ring on the job. Not like she cannot remove it during the day. On the positive side, at least she can stay off her cell phone during the work day.

Today’s young workers are so much crap. I usually try to avoid workers younger than 30 but in this tight labor market it has been impossible.

Everyone is having the same problem here. Nobody can find decent help for any price. Employers do everything to keep decent help from leaving.

I avoid hiring young men for the same reason.

If those are your rules, enforce them. Remind her, discipline her, whatever.

To be honest (just real), isn’t dental assistant, hygienist, and front desk personnel pretty much a female dominated field?

Most people would tell you to keep your opinion to yourself to avoid lawsuits.

I think as long as you avoid legal issues, give advice. It will help them if they listen to your feedback.

You never know, some may choose to change their behavior to be employed.

Brobbs suggestion was to avoid giving advice. You suggest giving advice. Kinda depends on how much he wants to interact. May not want the drama. My take is, if he has certain preferences, as long as they’re legal, he may as well state them outright ahead of time, saving both him and the applicant the time. If someone is really attached to their tattoos and piercings as a means of self-expression, they may want to apply elsewhere.

That is exactly my point in telling them what is wrong. They may walk around in a world of denial.

Yes it is, unfortunately, although there are more males now at front desk. The problem is male providers MUST have a female witness in the room. A male dental assistant working on a patient by himself would be a target for sexual harrassment claims. This is a shame, because I worked with mainly male assistants in the Navy, and many were great.

IMHO, there is a world of difference between a UPS worker and a Dental Associate.

With UPS, you have incidental contact.

With the Dental assistant it is tough to differentiate their care for you vs. the care for themselves.

This would not be as big a problem for a Front Office worker… but still a negative.

How hard is it to remove Tats? Seems silly to comment on something very difficult to change.

I have several, my rule of thumb, and what I have taught my kids (2 of the 3 have tats) is make sure it can’t be seen during a job interview or by a judge.

Or be easily identifiable in a lineup?

(not saying people with tats are more likely to commit crime, my daughter has 20 now.

Legally you are best not telling them.

Morally, I think you owe it to them. I have received some really good feedback over the years.

I think Henry is wrong on tattoos and piercings, but they’re not a protected class, anywhere that I’m aware of. I see no legal problem with telling applicants or potential applicants that it’s a dealbreaker for him. Telling people you won’t hire young women is a different issue. Age discrimination against young people is usually legal, but gender discrimination is not.

To each his own. I personally find tattoos and piercing stupid but I generally wouldn’t discriminate against them.

Similar. I don’t much like them, but I can’t imagine holding it against an applicant.

I don’t know if a business owner has much choice today. A young adult that dresses well & looks professional is generally going to be off to college to build a career, not seeking hourly wage employment.

I think Henrius is stuck with the wannabe Xerxes folks or will have to make do with insufficient staffing.

I don’t think complaining will change it. It is simply reality now.