Senior Communities

I am still in the process of deciding whether I want to keep my current house in Connecticut or sell it and move to a senior living community in Atlanta to be near my daughter’s family and not have the headaches of owning a house.

The good thing about my current house is that I own it free and clear and do not have a mortgage. On the down side, it is an ongoing project to maintain it. For example, I recently found out that the 30 year roof we got 20 years ago needs to be replaced. After having it inspected by four different roofers, I decided to sign a contract to replace it. Even though there are currently no signs of a leak, I want to replace it before it becomes a problem.

Even though I am in my middle seventies, I am in good enough health for my age that I am not on any medication. So I am not ready for assistant living. At the same time, if I buy a condo that doesn’t have any services I may have to move again in a few years.

So I have been doing research on independent living apartments in senior communities in Atlanta that don’t have medical services but have resort activities, dining, and provide cleaning services.

However, I am very surprised at how expensive these places are. At the places I have looked into, two bedroom apartments cost between five and eight thousand dollars a month. Granted a one bedroom or studio apartment would cost less but I want more space than that.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether I should keep my current house or move to a senior living community near my daughter.

Can’t tell too what to do or comment on the cost but two takes.

1. Good idea to get the roof replaced. Even if you don’t stay, it is a good selling point.
  2. My wife’s grandmother stayed in an independent senior living facility for several years and it was good for her. But it was in Nebraska and a fairly small apartment.
2 Likes

I can’t say either, but my sister lived in a place in Dallas where one part was indpendent living and another part of the same complex was assisted (but not nursing home level care) living. Upkeep can be an issue, but it’s way cheaper for me to pay to have someone mow my yard or shovel my driveway. One thing that you have mentioned - the cost of heating oil. It doesn’t get as cold in Atlanta (you’ll still need heating) so you should save money there, but it does get hotter than Connecticut, so you may be using your AC more. The issue for me is friends. You have decades worth of friendships that you and your husband developed. You would have to find a new circle of friends at a senior living facility. Several of the guys I cycle with are in their 80’s and live in those type facilities and say they have lots of activities that they can participate in. If you are not shy and can easily meet new people, I’m sure they might have bridge games…and if not, maybe you could organize one.

After my dad passed, mom kept her house, but my two sisters lived in Dallas, so there was family nearby. My brother and I don’t live in Texas, so it was comforting to know that some family was there for her. I’m sure that is a concern for your daughter. Finally - people handle grief in a different way. Does your house hold pleasant memories, or do the memories there make you sad? Mom was okay in the house after dad passed, but I know of some who sold the house and moved after losing a spouse because it only served to remind them of what they lost.

1 Like

IMO that’s what I would do. I’d find an area that’s safe and close to the things you want and preferably walking distance to restaurants and things to do. If you need more care in a few years you can sell the condo and most likely not lose any money.

2 Likes

The first question to answer is where had you rather live. I’m sure there are advantages to staying near your friends and the home where you are content as well as moving to be near your family. Until you decide that, everything else is kind of irrelevant.

If you do move, I think I agree with Bears.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I live in Atlanta suburbs. Atlanta city is no longer safe. I would either find a house near your daughter or find a house that is big enough for both of you and move there. I’m assuming she is only child and will get everything. At 8K a month that’s almost 100K a year. You are better off in a house and you can have it paid off in no time. Plus the amount you will get for your current home is going to cut it more.

I’ve been here 30 years and have seen it grow.

2 Likes

While your math is correct, it overlooks something. These places do all exterior and interior maintenance. All appliances are provided and maintained. All that we’ve seen provide all meals. Many of them have some limited house cleaning and laundry service included, as well as exercise facilities, maybe a library and other services and recreation activities (maybe even a bridge club). There may even be some medical services on site.

If one has the funds, it all depends on what the person wants or needs. We had friends in a similar one here. They enjoyed it but left for another less expensive with less tangible benefits,because they said it was high school for old folks, complete with cliques, gossip and competition for attention.

1 Like

ok but at the end you have no valuable asset.

So what? Isn’t that why people work hard and accumulate the resources they have?

1 Like

What happens if she lives for another 20 years and is healthy the whole way? That’s 2 million plus that she can’t pass on to her heirs.

Or she may run out of money .

Which is why I said if she has the funds it will depend on what she wants is looking for. Without going into my assumptions from what bridge has posted about her family, I don’t think that would a big issue.

Personally, I’m not worried about passing anything on to my adult children. If I end up having to sale my properties, or Medicare takes it if I need long term care. My security in my old age is what I worked and saved for. Also I would live in my car before I would move in with anyone, loved ones or anyone else. They could move in with me, but I don’t want to be a burden or beholden to anyone.

That’s just me.

1 Like

I just gave a different point of view. not looking to argue

Condo in mixed age community near your daughter. This way you can have some senior friends but also some younger ones too - diversify ages

Hire a cleaning person once a month. Maybe pay one of your neighbors kids $30 to rearrange stuff

We have an active leak and I’d agree.

That’s why I can’t envision doing it in 20 years either.

Hopefully I won’t have early stage dementia like my dad but am healthy like my late 105 yo grandma

1 Like

One of the aspects that you might want to consider in making the decision is the cost of in-home Assisted Living. this would allow you to keep your home and have the benefits of assisted living as necessary. some of those items have been previously mentioned. examples are house cleaning services on a weekly basis, yard services etc.

1 Like

@Weenut1 - my daughter’s current house in a suburb of Atlanta is 5,500 square feet including its finished walk out basement and 4,000 square feet without it. So it is large enough to include me but but I prefer to have my own place to live. If I decide to move to Atlanta I would like to live close to them but not with them. They have been trying to convince me to move to Atlanta since my husband died in June.

What suburb of Atlanta do you live in? My daughter’s family lives in an area that is great for raising a family but also has good local shopping and restaurants.

Gwinnett. Move you’ll enjoy the weather. Find a nice house or a townhome. When you need help then look into changing the situation. You will save a lot on taxes here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.