SBF charged

Are you in? Personally I hope anybody that plays in crypto looses their shirt.

Ok, but make me a deal. If he goes to jail then you’ll drop the idea that Dems are easy on crypto criminals?

As a side note, I nearly bought 50k of stable coin through Celsius about 9 months ago. They advertised a guaranteed return of 10% except it wasn’t actually guaranteed. I took a pass, sometimes the best investments are the ones you don’t make.

The WSJ reported today that Joseph Bankman, SBF’s father and a Stanford Law professor, attended many FTX meetings with his son and was an employee of the company for a year. He has cancelled his class for the next semester. Barbara Fried, SBF’s mother and also a Stanford Law professor, is also not teaching next semester.

This could get interesting.

Find somewhere in this forum I claimed Dems are easy on crypto criminals.

Amen. It’s often been said that you can often make more money on the right purchase than the right sale. Same would be true for the right non-purchase.

She wrote an op-Ed saying the notion of criminal penalties is bad for the justice system. Huh?

I think the parents will be just fine even if they ever teach again. Pretty sure they got a piece of the missing 8 billion.

This thread. You’re doubting any punishment for this dirtbag because he donated to Dems. You’re inferring that Dems won’t be tough on SBF, even though he’s been arrested and and is in custody of the Biden DOJ.

I’m not saying Dems are angels, just saying I don’t believe in the two-tiered justice system.

QUote it

Doh, I confused you and butler…sorry.

I think this thing will pale in comparison to Madoff. Which begs the question will some form of bailout be arranged for the losers.

Will it be an Obama Motors bail out all over again? You can do a lot with a printing press.

Disregard

There are scams all the time in America, the taxpayer can’t be held responsible.

To your other point, that’s all kinds of whataboutism and not remotely valid. But wanted to make two points, the GM bailout started in 2008 with Bush and continued with Obama. And it’s the rare bailout that paid off in spades, the money was paid back with interest and the entire US auto industry is intact and strong today. Lots of jobs were saved and that represents taxes paid of course.

GM is back with their hand out. They got about $800 million from Michigan and just borrowed $2.5 billion from us.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/politics/biden-ev-battery-loan/index.html

They were not alone. Ford borrowed $6 billion from us and Nissan and Tesla borrowed about $2 B.

I think the government should stay out of this. This is all about running crypto markets outside of any government regulations. It should be buyer beware. I think if the governments took this approach, it would be more chilling to user of the crypto that there are no consequences for non sanctioned government currencies. Then the government could roll out their own crypto currency where they will enforce regulations and violations.

The government is involved so they can collect taxes.

Yeah, I guess you could say that giving $200k to Republicans and $40M to Democrats is similar…I guess that’s the same in your world.

I find it interesting that he was arrested right before he was going to testify to Congress, don’t you ?

If SBF goes to jail, will you drop the two tiered justice system stuff? I watched some of the SDNY press conference today, they’ve got the goods on him,

He should’ve been arrested weeks ago, I’m okay that it was today. You sound like you get sucked into conspiracy theories easily. I find that fascinating since I assume you’re a smart normal guy.

No, I find nothing wrong with that.