Same old Falcons

From various articles I’ve seen this morning. They spend an #eight draft pick on a QB with a substantial injury history, knees twice, shoulders twice. Didn’t see where anybody ranked him as a top 10 pick. A strong arm but so so on accuracy. Doesn’t handle pressure very well. Oh yeah, they just signed Cousins, a veteran QB, to a 4 year $180m contract with half guaranteed. Relatively new GM, new head coach, seems the consistent is the owner.

I will have to disagree with you on this.
IMO, Penix will be the best QB of this draft class.
Give him a year or two under Cousins and he will thrive.

I hope you’re right but knowing the history of the Falcons, I have my doubts.

I thought Cousins was the future? Theyre paying him like he is.

Cousins is 35, don’t know how much future he has. If the kid comes along, Cousins will probably be gone after a couple of years.

He is only on a two year contract.

Drafting QBs is always a crapshoot, but one thing that seems to usually be true is that they don’t improve accuracy in the NFL. The windows are so much narrower that inaccurate QBs don’t make it. Some other things are teachable.

I read this morning that there were 275,000 people in downtown Detroit for the draft festivities. I worked in downtown Detroit for 30+ years, but I recognized very little from the camera shots shown on TV.

So, when it was in KC it was not technically “downtown”, it was at Union Station which is quite a ways from downtown.
Maybe that is what they did in Detroit, had it in a better area, but called it “downtown”.

I saw a facebook meme that shows Cousins has easily eclipsed the GOAT (brady) in career earnings. Doesn’t mean it’s accurate of course but not surprising since Brady took a lot less money to keep his teams competitive. Regardless, if I decide to play professional sports I’m hiring Cousins’ agent and PR team.

No I would call it still downtown as it was near the two stadiums. When I worked near the river, we would sometimes walk up to a couple restaurants that were about a block from where the draft happened. Little Caesar’s Arena is called downtown, but it a couple of blocks north of the stadium and not what I call downtown. That area, though, is where a lot of development had occurred since we left. I just didn’t realize how much.

Much more recently, part of the central business district is getting redone. The buildings I worked in are still there and will likely be there for some time. This was one of them.

If I remember right, Cousins signed a lot of short term deals, basically betting on himself. And his numbers were always good enough to justify the pay.

1 Like