Puns part 3

1 Like

1 Like

As Paula Poundstone is fond of saying ā€œit was the gouda that got 'em.ā€

1 Like

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. When I lived in the city weā€™d go to the Cubby Bear which is kitty corner from Wrigley Field on Wednesday night, it was $5 to get in and had penny pitchers of beer, penny burgers plus they had a band. It was a little over a mile from my apartment and weā€™d walk there, but take a cab home. I had some rough Thursday mornings.

One of the bands we saw was Lynyrd Skynhead. It was a cover band from Japan that played and sang perfect, but other than the songs they spoke very rough English. Another band was Dred Zepplin, a reggae cover band and the lead singer was an Elvis impersonator. Fun times for 5 bucks

My dad told me stories of his youth where he tells me itā€™s a good thing be brought his car to the bar because he sure as hell couldnā€™t walk home. It was definitely a different time.

Mile for mile, walking home drunk is much more dangerous than driving while drunk.

Another Archie Bunker line I liked was from an episode where Archie and Meathead were arguing after Nixon had resigned. Meathead said that Nixon had to resign since he had lied. Archie responded that Nixon hadnā€™t lied; he just forgot to tell the truth.

1 Like

Unfortunately for Nixon, the phrase ā€œalternative factsā€ had not yet been coined.

I think if Nixon had done what he did today, thereā€™s no way heā€™d have to resign. He only resigned because Republicans would vote for impeachment.

Americans responded to the Watergate Scandal the way they did because it happened at a time when people were much more ethical than they are today. Since that time a number of politicians have done things that were much more unethical without any consequences. Nixonā€™s biggest mistake was to cover up the Watergate Scandal because the cover up was much worse than the scandal itself.

I would agree with that.

Worthy advice from another English Major of great statuteā€¦. :innocent:

1 Like