It is no longer allowed

A couple of years ago, my key fob for my Camry stopped working. I was about to go call a tow truck so I could get into the car when I remembered, I have…a key.

2 Likes

You should google how to get into your Tesla without battery power

Another dad we know through our kids has a strangely popular tik tok account.
His first tik tok was simply showing people that a key existed inside the fob

My Camry was a 2006, so the key was separate from the FOB. The FOB stopped working and the Toyota dealership said it wasn’t the FOB but the sensor inside the car and wanted to charge me $850 to fix it. I noped and used the key for the rest of the time I owned it.

Back in the sixties, I went to a few bon voyage parties where people would visit a friend or relative who was taking a cruise in their cabin before the cruise started. Now only people who are taking the cruise are allowed on a ship before it leaves.

I can’t speak to covid times but in 2018 I had friends in my suite before the boat left Fort Liquordale. On the same boat a couple friends from St Maarten got to board.

Growing up in the 80-90’s, we rarely locked the house doors. My dad never locked the car doors because he always said, if they want in they will get in. He never left anything important or valuable in the cars.

Out where I live, we don’t lock cars or house. It’s not uncommon to leave keys in the cars. I live so far off the beaten path that someone could bring a moving truck and nobody would know. My closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. If they want in they will kick in the door and nobody would hear it.

I have two cars. I leave the older one unlocked. I keep nothing of value in it. I’m more concerned with someone breaking a window than getting in the car.

That and the locks don’t always work.

When I lived in the city I had an older truck I didn’t lock. I didn’t leave any valuables in it but I forgot about the garage door opener. I was out of town and someone lifted the handle and found the opener and stole about $600 worth of tools. I was lucky that is all they got.

I drove a Jeep Wrangler for years and would often have the top down or doors off.
When I left the house I would lock the garage door opener in my console.

Last year, Kansas gave us an app that lets us access our vehicle registration via our phone. I like that because if someone breaks into your car and gets your garage door opener, all they need to do is look in the glove box or console for your vehicle registration and they know where to go to use the opener.

I would like that.
I had to text a pic of our insurance card to my daughter when she was pulled over one time because she couldn’t remember where it was in her car.

I stopped leaving the registration and insurance paperwork in the glove compartment for this very reason. Rather, I have photos of both on my phone which I can show if needed. There does not even need to be a garage door opener there. If the car is not parked at home, that is a hint to a potential thief that there may be nobody at that address at that time. An organized group could take advantage of that.

Several years ago, my in-laws lived with us and their Accord was parked in the driveway. One night someone broke into the car and didn’t steal the remote, but used it to open the garage door. We had 2 garage doors and I guess he was expecting it to open the door in front of the car, but it opened the other one. I think it scared him…but my dog barked and I heard the door and went out…they were gone.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.