It is no longer allowed

A guy picks up a hitchhiker…

Hitchhiker: I can’t believe you picked me up, what if I’m a serial killer?

Driver: What are the chances of two serial killers being in one car?

1 Like

I learned to drive a standard pickup at 10 on my grandpa’s farm. I got to drive down the dirt roads and a short stretch of the country highway (2 lane blacktop with speed limit of 55) as a young lad while doing farm help for grandpa. I was probably 8 when he put me on the tractor to pull the hay rake. About 10-12 he let me drive the big tractor and haul the round bales of hay.

As a youngster, we didn’t have car seats or airbags. I remember being 4 and riding in the front seat. Also in the back seat with no seat belts. Airbags killed allowing little kids to ride in the front seat. Now you got to be something like 10-12 to legally ride in front seat. I always thought this is such BS. If I go buy a new 2022 single cab pickup, there is no back seat. This leads me to the next one. As a youngster, I would ride in the back of a pickup going 55+ We did this a lot at grandpa’s farm. He typically drove a small standard cab S10. When he would take all the grandkids (I was youngest) to the swimming hole 15 miles away, we would all pile into the back of the truck. I rarely see people riding in the back of a truck anymore.

I live out in the sticks now. My almost 5 year old has been driving dirt roads on my lap now for a at least 2 years. She is very good. In maybe another year or so, I might let her take over the pedals next time we go pickup square bales of hay. She can’t reach the pedal on the riding mower now because of the seat safety that requires you to be in the seat and drive the mower. I am considering bypassing this seat safety so she can get some experience with driving the riding mower.

1 Like

Candy cigarettes

When I was in elementary school we were allowed to go home during our lunch hour without an adult picking us up. I don’t think that is allowed at any elementary school now.

1 Like

I could go into a large Department store and buy stuff by simply giving them Mom’s Name and Address… Nothing More and it would be charged to her account.

When I was about 8, I took my Brother (5) downtown on the bus to see Santa Claus. When Mom found my Wallet at home, she called the Dept store Toy Dept (she knew that would be our first stop. She had them find me, then asked the Manager if she could charge $3 to her account. He could not do that, but after some discussion he gave me $3 which Mom promptly mailed back to him.

Mom told him she did not want our day ruined, and he helped. We had lunch and all went well.

===
Dec 8 is a feast in the Catholic Church and the School was closed. It was the day we would go off to see Santa and do Christmas shopping.

===
Seems the more Progressive we have become, the less safe and Trusting we have become

I started college as a chemistry major.

That reminded me of this

1 Like

PricePerformer - I was able to do the same thing when I went shopping with my friends at the Miracle Mile in Manhasset where my mother had charge cards for Lord and Taylor, B Altman, Bonwit Teller , etc. My mother frequently shopped at these stores so they knew who I was.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Riding around with rifle and/or riot gun on gun rack of your pickup truck!

Under the laws of the time. It most likely wasn’t illegal.

When you read about sex laws, they’re fairly complicated.

Perfect example is a man couldn’t be raped under California law. Not sure If they fixed that issue or not but under the law it was a thing.

What my pops did was certainly immoral, but he’s 98 and it was totally a different time. But if people think abstinence was a thing or that women were more pure in the 40s, they weren’t.

I think the main reason this doesn’t happen anymore is because too many criminals will break into your truck to steal your gun. As far as I know it is still legal as long as its unloaded. FWIW, it is also not advisable to have gun related sticker on your vehicle. Its a clue to criminals that there might be a free gun hiding inside.

Spousal rape was completely legal more recently than most realize. Date rape, maybe, depending on the circumstances. It is more that they found it so hard to prove, they’d rarely prosecute.

We didn’t always have this fixation and love affair with guns. I remember living in Dallas in the 70’s and the big joke back then were the number of trucks with gun racks on the rear window that were holding - umbrellas’

In the old days, if a girl got drunk, it was considered consent.

We don’t do that anymore. Consent is better defined.

Yes, I recall that. There was a state in the last year or two (Oklahoma?) that still hadn’t updated its laws, so someone got off.

I remember a billboard at SC/GA state line on I-95 about 25 years ago. It’s read ‘ welcome to South Carolina where it’s still legal to beat your wife’. I really hope that’s changed by now.

The sign or the law?

If we want to go beyond what is not allowed and cover things that used to be considered safe but no longer are, I can give a funny story to illustrate this.

Back when I was growing up my mother, younger brother and I were out shopping once. When we were done my mother loaded up the groceries in the car and then went to start it only to find out the key wouldn’t fit in the ignition. She suddenly realized that we had gotten into somebody else’s car that was identical to ours. I remember my mother scrambling to get out of there before the other person came.

Today nobody would think of leaving their car unlocked while out shopping.

Both? Imagine if the law was changed then there’s no reason for the sign.