I can see both sides/non compete

I can see them in tech, sales/marketing, and media.
Probably a few others that I haven’t thought about.

1 Like

This is why it is needed in the food industry.

1 Like

Presumably, anything related to product design.

My girlfriend was forced to sign a non-compete to get 3 months severance. The wording was ridiculous, she couldn’t get a job having anything to do with tools or flooring for a year. She asked for clarification and they promised they wouldn’t enforce it unless she went to work for one of the 3 or 4 direct competitors, but she didn’t get that in writing.

What’s funny in most states these are not enforceable.

Non-competes don’t hold up well in courts.

1 Like

That’s what her attorney told her. It would’ve been better to get that promise in writing but that the NC is so encompassing that their lawyers would recommend against enforcing it. She’s working for an investment house now so that’s not a concern.

1 Like

I mean they’ll sue you and that alone freaks people out but rarely do they win in court.

Now if you have true secrets that’s different but few people do.

1 Like

My wife had one in her canned veterinary contract. They are illegal in Oklahoma and unenforceable but employers still put them in because most people don’t know. She was planning to leave her employer and when she renegotiated her contract, they removed the clause. She subsequently signed a contract for a new clinic and has put her notice in. The place she is going to is going to pay her double her current salary. I always thought that vets were way underpaid and now she finally has a pretty good salary.

1 Like

You have alluded to that in the past.
Which from the outside looking in, it seems like vet care is fairly expensive.

1 Like

When I worked for EDS in the 80’s, they had noncompete agreements that were upheld in court. Their reason, which I agree with, is that they provided programming training in their SED program, they were paid while they were in the SED program, and they had a 3 year non compete agreement to prevent them from taking that training over to a competitor.

The state of Kansas has a kind of non compete agreement in their pension program. I found that out because I retired due to the stress from my old job. But 5 counties were in the process of migrating to a new EMR software. OF thos 5 counties, I knew more about the existing software as well as coversion methodologies. The Health Department in Lawrence offered to pay me as a consultant to come work for them, but KPERS (pension) had a stipulation that if a person was drawing a pension, they would have to hold off for 6 months before working for any organization under KPERS, even I was doing it as a “self employed” worker. I could have technically taken the job, but if I did, they would withhold pension payments for 6 months.

You have to pay extra for the meds security.

New grad doctors in my area start out in the $60-75K. More experienced would typically make $100-120K. In the rural areas, it is not unheard of for a vet to make $50K. Basically my wife is paid about 20% of your vet bill. So a $500 vet bill and the vet might make $100.

There is pretty high cost in the clinic as they typically have some expensive equipment that is the same equipment that the human doctors use. The reason why you think its high because you normally only pay the deductible of your personal treatment. Imagine having a $1,500 annual premium for your dog so you only pay $20 when you go to the vet.

My wife does some fillin for the emergency clinic. That place pays $100/hr plus $500 for each surgery she does. If you take your dog to the emergency place, get ready to pay big $ for your pet. When our Shepard broke his leg, that bill was about $5,500.

I think they were bluffing…a good HR attorney would crush that, especially in Georgia.

Another thought: these clauses are already banned in some states. Have actual problems arisen?

I am not sure any state has banned them. California just heavily restricted them. For most employees they were worthless but valid for others

1 Like

I agree. That’s why business policy should fall in the realm of antitrust and I agree that the company should have to pay you or release you from the non-compete

The also cause structural unemployment.

Silicon Valley was created because of idiots in Massachusetts with non-compete clauses

A couple of years our retriever chewed up a canvas toy that really messed up his stomach (the boy can eat anything) and he wouldn’t eat or drink. Took him to our local vet (seriously awesome people) and they said we may be able to travel about2 hours for an emergency surgery that would have a 50/50 chance and cost I’ve $2500 up front.
We went home and the next day after moping around all day he passed it and was back to his old self.

I think possibly fining a company that attempts to get an employee to abide by one would probably slow them down.

1 Like

The ones from EDS when Perot ran it held up extremely well. But that noncompete was less about going to a competitor and more about paying for the education they were provided.l