Great idea, needs to expand to politicians

California requiring financial literacy for High School.

Maybe this should be a requirement for elected office.

1 Like

Who would implement such a requirement? The current crop of elected officials who appear to have no financial literacy whatsoever?

Our terrible politicians are merely a reflection of the voters.

If the voters cared at all about financial responsibility, almost all of these clown in office would be ejected on the next cycle.

1 Like

Most politicians don’t understand basic math.

My kid had a personal finance class in high school, it was very basic but better than nothing.

Just starting an offhanded thread.
No way it would ever happen.

My kids both did theirs online during the summer after their freshman year.

My high school probably offered one for elective. I did take accounting 1 & 2 in high school. It taught the basics of book keeping debits and credits but also things like amortization tables, taxes, and basic financial statements.

I 1,000% agree that public education should teach a basic finance class as a requirement of graduation. Many kids end up doing what their parents do and never are exposed to finance. In my accounting class I understood the basics but they didn’t teach investing. When I was in high school I worked many jobs including mowing yards. If I had invested some of that I would be materially better off today.

1 Like

I would much rather not believe that.

I think it is possible to get this ridiculous government under control, but I think it involves educating our fellow citizens. If the voters don’t apply pressure by tossing incumbents, nothing will ever change.

Almost half of Americans pay zero income tax, they don’t care. Another 10-20% pay barely anything , they also don’t care and believe they’re paying too much because the evil rich aren’t paying enough.

Taxes aren’t really at the root of this issue. The problem here is Washington’s severe addiction to spending.

Can’t keep going up at this rate without eventually turning ourselves into Venezuela.

We’ll eventually have to print money to avoid default and keep interest rates low. That will result in runaway inflation.

Average Joe Voter does not seem to understand this, or care.

1 Like

I agree 100%. My point is if people aren’t paying for the out of control spending they don’t care. If more people had some skin in the game they might pay more attention.

1 Like