Grade Inflation?

Got a note from my half-first cousin. Her son is graduating fro high school in May. His GPA is 3.875 and he is ranked 125th in a class of 444.

It seems to me that his GPA should rank him higher. They’re in Kentucky and I don’t know how they grade, maybe on a 4.25 or 4.50 scale. But, if they’re using a 4.00 scale, wow.

1 Like

Could be, but depends on the school. Some are magnet schools that attract only high achievers. Also, 4.0 isn’t the top of the scale for most schools with college options and AP options.

1 Like

Both my kids graduated with above 4.0 GPA’s.
AP and college credit classes are weighted above a 4.0

2 Likes

I just checked their web site. They offer a number of AP courses that give more points, but grade on a 4.0 scale. An A in an AP course gets 5.0 points, a B 4.0, etc. How much that affects one’s GPA depends on on how many AP courses taken. That likely explains it.

2 Likes

A few of my kids friends finished college in 3 or three and a half years because of AP classes. My kid didn’t want to and picked up a second major and still had only 2 classes 2nd semester of his senior year.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.