Favorite hobbies

ID10T error.

FB_IMG_1630899536855
Yep. Here was another one that I rebuilt. I sold this one a couple years ago. I have a turbo cb750 in the shop.

1 Like

4 cylinders run through a turbo? You must be half plumber.

Well I’m planning a fuel injection conversion to fuel it. I just bought a tig welder a couple weeks ago. Will need to build turbo exhaust and intake manifold.

I salute you!

So far it is just frustrating. I am getting where I can hit the ball consistently.

The drive to learn is one, work. Two, it is something safe we can do outdoors during the pandemic.

Last summer in Illinois golfers couldn’t ride in the same cart, even if they drove to the course together in the same car. And lefties wonder why people call out our idiot leaders who make the Covid mandates.

At this point, focus on process, not results.
Good contact and consistency are the keys.
Your short game will be the last thing to come around.

That is the one part I am pretty good at. Maybe it is the years of minigolf.

The largest issue I have is I hit the ball but my distance isn’t great. The accuracy is there. My instructor was a pro. He said most people get distance before accuracy.

I have had the exact opposite problem.
We almost bought me a new driver when we bought my wifes clubs and got her an hour lesson.
The pro looked at my swing, made one minor adjustment, and I have straightened out significantly since.

Edit to add: That actually isn’t a bad problem to have, just don’t try to me macho and club up.

Practice practice practice. It takes tons of practice. My first job was at a driving range. The benefit other than minimum wage was free range balls. I would typically hit 500+ range balls per day. I stayed away from the course mostly until my swing was consistent. Playing on the course is a terrible place to learn. You don’t have the repetition of the same shot over and over again. You need to gain muscle memory.

Something my golf instructor told me. When you are at the range and you are hitting them well, stay and hit some more to practice the good habits. If you go to the range and you are hitting them bad, stop so you don’t practice the same bad swing. If your not hitting the irons or driver well, go to the putting green and try that. Or to the chipping green and try there. If you are playing on the course and you did well, go directly to the range and continue practicing the good swing. If your playing and you are playing terrible, leave the course and don’t continue to struggle and practice the bad habits.

My other advise is while learning don’t get too caught up with the rules. Don’t play it as it lies. You are beginning and don’t penalize yourself more than your skills. Roll the ball around and give yourself a decent chance. If you don’t have much experience in the bunker, don’t play from the bunker yet. If a tree is in your way, move your ball.

I had a shag bag full of balls that I would practice with. When you have to go pick them up, you will also gain some more discipline because you don’t want to spend your day walking around picking up balls. Find what ever club you consistently hit well and practice with that club. You will hopefully be learning the muscle memory of a good swing that can be applied to the other clubs. I always scored lower when I walked the course vs riding in cart. If your walking, you will typically take the safest option in your shots because you don’t want to walk and extra 100 yards looking for your ball. If I am riding, hell yeah I try that crazy shot.

Also a long game is worthless if you don’t have a short game. You only use the driver for about 14 shots while playing. You use the mid and short irons a lot. Even when you are a decent player, about half your strokes will come from the putter. When I was learning to play, there was a par 3 course near my house. I could play it 5-6 times in a day depending on how backed up it would get. As I got better, i would consistently shoot sub 60 on the par 54. The longest hole was about 170 yards but most were in the 125-150 range. When I was better, I would just go out with 7,8,9,PW,SW,LW,FW, & putter. This was all about learning to hit the greens in regulation and putting. After this I ventured out to the big course where I typically struggled with drivers for years. I was a iron player. I picked up the matching 1 & 2 irons for my set. I typically teed off with a 2 iron and I would typically get 230-250 yards out of it. I got me by but I typically would have a longer second shot which was more difficult to hit the greens in regulation. It wasn’t until I got my Great Big Bertha (super small compared to modern standards). Holly smokes that was a game changer for me. Now my second shots were in the 100-150 yard range and that was my sweet spot from all the practice on the par 3 course. I then ditched the long irons and carried 3-4 wedges depending on the course.

In all the golf I played, I never finished below par. I did have 2 hole in 1’s, too many eagles to count, 1 double eagle on par 5.

I am trying to tell my wife this, but she thinks I am treating her like a little kid.
If she thins a wedge to the green and I stop it before it roll off she gets mad.

The people waiting behind you will thank you.

One of my biggest problems as I got better was the constant waiting on the course. I could go play 18 holes in about 2.5 hours if I walked the course. I could play in about 1.75 hours if I rode. The constant waiting really sucked the thrill of the game out for me. Might be chugging along playing great and then catch up to a group that is just taking forever. It then kills your momentum and turns a good day into a bad day.

I I could go play in a couple hours, I could probably find time. But when I have to go spend 6 hours to play because of the wait, I just don’t have that kind of free time.

The par 3 course that I played a lot. I could go play it and be the 1st to tee off in the morning. I could play it in about and hour walking. I would then be the 2nd person to tee off. Then on the 3rd round, there would be some people show up and it would typically take 2 hours to play. If I went for another round it might take 2.5 hours. A 5th round might slow down to 3-4 hours. I actually had a fishing rod in my bag so I could fishing while I was waiting. It took some of the sting out of waiting. Oh my back in the day when i was young and had all day to kill. Back in those days i was 14-15 and couldn’t drive. My parents would drop me off at the course as the sun was coming up and sometimes I wouldn’t call them to pick me up until the sun was going down.

I have found it is heavily reliant on the course and if the marshall is doing this job.
But also on the golfers knowing their skill level.
We played yesterday and were fine until about 12-13, when we caught the group in front of us.
They were slightly better than hackers, but took forever on the greens lining up putts. I get being deliberate on the green, but if it took you 4 shots to get there, you ain’t sinking the 20 footer for double.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.