Dumbest thing, Kansas City style

I literally have no words

https://amp.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/guest-commentary/article286397505.html

The “Kansas City Beefs”!!!

At least celebrating something the city is known for.

I was listening to an interview with, I think Lily Gladstone, just nominated for an Oscar. I believe the way she put it was that she didn’t really find the name Chiefs racist, but the fucking tomahawk chop definitely is.

Bingo. And you can name the Chiefs the Beefs or the Ballerinas, you are still going to have people doing the tomahawk chop. But it’s not exclusive to Kansas City - I believe the Atlanta Braves use it and the Florida State Seminoles do it, and they are named after a tribe. So the name must not bother anybody, but they aren’t able to stop THEIR use of the chop either. Since Florida State uses the chop, should they change their name to the Florida State Beaches since the use of the chop refers to the name of their team?

I haven’t been to a Chiefs game in about 10 years because $60 for parking, $100+ for a ticket and $10 for a beer isn’t worth it. But I never saw protest by native Americans when I was there when i did go, and there has been zero coverage of any protests of the name in the local news. Mostly I guess because Chiefs or Braves or even Indians isn’t an offensive name. Although Indians is not an insensitive name, their mascot Chief Wahoo, was the most insulting one. Odd but while Redskins could be offensive, the logo of the Indian on the helmet was about as respectful as anyone could get.

Do people realize that when teams are forced to change an innocuous name of a team, they are basically “cancelling” the native Americans?

Old habits die hard though - I’ve lived here for over 35 years and there was (still is) a concert venue that was named Sandstone. IT seems to change names every other year but most people call it Sandstone. I’ll trust my fellow Kansas Citians not to look it up, but do you even know what the real name of Sandstone is today? I had to look it up myself.

Vegans would protest the name. Keep the Chiefs and let woke babies whine all they want.

That made me laugh!!

Chiefs is named after the former Mayor.

That may be true, but you can not deny that the Chiefs have adopted references to Native Americans over the years. Otherwise, their logo would be an image of H. Rowe Bartle’s head and the stadium would have been named H. Rowe Bartle Stadium.

Never denied that.

All true, but I am still scratching my head wondering how “Chiefs” is offensive to anybody. The chop? Yep…pretty offensive. But even if they changed the name, I doubt the chop would go away

I don’t disagree with anything you said here.