Dollywood

Thinking of taking my teenager on a trip to Dollywood this summer. Just a few days.

What else to do nearby?

Fly into Knoxville or Asheville or what?

Have fun!!!

Knoxville is the obvious choice although the drive through the Smokies from Asheville would be amazing. If you’re into the outdoors, I’ll probably tie this in with a trip to Pisgah national forest, very good hiking and beer and food scene just south of Asheville.

You could even fly into Atlanta if the rental car and flights are cheaper.

YOu should see Asheville (Biltmore Estate). It’s also God’s country -beautiful. We did whitewater rafting on the French Broad river. I had a T-shirt that said “I rode the French Broad”

Fly into Ashville, and on your way to Dollywood, keep playing these songs over and over again.

1 Like

We were in Knoxville and Asheville two Julys ago. Stayed in each for a few days and in Townsend, near an entrance to the Smokies.

Never got to Dollywood or Gatlinburg because there were miles of heavy traffic. There were so many people in the Smokies that one day we literally could not find a place to park in the Park. Next day, a rain forecast and easy parking. I suspect it was post-Covid freedom time.

If you have any interest in Appalachian arts and crafts, you can find them around either Knoxville and Asheville. North of Knoxville is the Museum of Appalachia, a reconstructed mountain village. Asheville has a vibrant art scene and the Craft Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I agree on the drive to/from Knoxville/Asheville, it’s pretty spectacular. If you get a chance, Oak Ridge is about an hour from Knoxville. We did not visit the Biltmore because it isn’t our thing, but anyone we know who have visited said we should have.

When we were there, it was 95 degrees and about 90% humidity. Even our friend in northern GA who we visited then said it’s too damn hot out, let’s stay in.

Dollywood is a tourist trap to be sure but in a mostly cheesy goodness way. I think of it as a more fun Branson.

Biltmore is worth it. The French Broad is okay but grab a shower after, the locals over 25 won’t get in it. And there may be an unknown mob element in Asheville, a body seems to wash up in Broad every few months.

Asheville also has an excellent food and craft beer scene…

Not familiar with Pisgah. Will have to look up. A challenge to get the teen to hike, but maybe.

I think the GF has mentioned the Biltmore, will have to ask. Benefit of dating a historian who has travelled extensively.

A friend is writing a novel that includes mention of the Appalachian dulcimer. Maybe.

Beautiful steep mountains, lots of amazing waterfalls. Youll see why theyre called the smokey mountain, a beaitful mist hangs in moutains that looks like smoke. Id say go rent a mountain bike but the steep climbs and old school rooty decents would make you hate me. Thats a year 2 or 3 thing for new mountain bikers, even then its not everybodys cup o tea.

1 Like

I meant to add the Dahlonega Gold Museum in north Georgia. There was an 1829 gold rush there (started, as the story goes, when my wife’s 1st cousin 5x removed tripped over a large gold nugget), and gold coins were minted there by the US.

1 Like

Dahlonega is a great town but now its turning into a 2 week experience.

We spent nearly two weeks around there, counting a couple of days with our friend in Ringgold.

My ex sister-in-law and her husband (thoracic surgeon) live in Biltmore Forest, which is a next to the Biltmore estate. They belong to the Biltmore Forest Country Club. They said that when the Vanderbilts built the Biltmore Estate, the existing country club did not permit smoking, and Edith Vanderbilt was a smoker. So she had her own country club built

My guess is they didn’t allow women to smoke in their club?

On a related note, what’s the latest on how far in advance you should book airline tickets and such?

Can’t speak for air, but you should start checking out the hotels where you intend to stay. I am now setting up our July trip to TX, KS and NE, much less popular than the area where you are going.

1 Like