Cooking for One

If you live alone, what do you like to cook for dinner. When my husband was alive I cooked a good dinner almost every night but it is hard for me to get motivated to cook just for me.

One thing I like to do is to make fresh tuna because I can buy a piece of it that is an appropriate portion for one person.

I hate cooking for one. Recipes are usually for 4 and I end up throwing away a lot of food. I finally just started having meals delivered from a company called Cook Unity. The food is good, and it really doesn’t cost me much more than when I was buying ingredients to cook. I enjoy cooking for others but you are right - it’s really hard to motivate myself to cook.

1 Like

Costco and Trader Joe’s have good single person meals.

2 Likes

Cant speak for Costco but I agree about Trader Joes. I buy a lot of their ethnic cuisine (Indian, Korean, Thai) single meals for lunch.

1 Like

We like some of the Costco prepared meals, but two of us usually get two dinners, sometimes three, out of them The roasted chicken is the best.

just me and my wife so I also like to use my pellet grill So I cut the pork loin in Half and braid it. We have leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day or 2. I cook 4 hamburgers and same. I’ll cook just 2 pork chops in the air fryer I got at costco

I just made homemade chicken fingers

https://www.costco.com/cuisinart-digital-airfryer-toaster-oven.product.100979581.html

this is a great product

1 Like

Well I cannot speak much about cooking for one as I rarely tried anything. Pot of beans with onions and other veggies and maybe some meat, and eat it for 3 or 4 days.

New bride however is a fabulous short order cook, and I bought her a new induction range which she loves. One example comes to mind; a side of salmon. Wild Alaska salmon of course; the Atlantic farmed swims in its own excrement. Takes 7 minutes with normal tools, but I think less on induction heated pan. If I was going to do that I would buy smaller chunks not a whole side. No idea what I would put with that and hope I never have to figure it out…

I like to make eggs and/or steak when eating solo. Can microwave or par boil a handful of potatoes from a bag too.

I also like to eat out and sit at the bar. Good way to make friends with the bartender(s) and other patrons.

2 Likes

My wife and I will eat the legs, thighs and wings the day I buy it and I’ll shred or cut up the breast meat for another meal. It’s good for enchiladas, chicken tinga, in a chopped salad, a pot pie and even just reheated with a couple sides. For $4.99 it’s a great deal and time saver.

My son’s living alone for the first time and that’s one of his favorite things. He’ll rub a tuna steak with a little avocado oil and sprinkle it with everything bagel seasoning, give it a quick sear on all sides and serve it with an Asian salad kit from the grocery store. He’ll also use the air fryer for steak, salmon and Just Bare spicy chicken tenders from Costco. He also makes stir fry and a couple different curries. He has a great cafeteria at work that’s cheap that has actual chef’s so a lot of the time he just has a sandwich for dinner.

1 Like

An air fryer is surprisingly good at cooking, steak, chicken and seafood. You can cut up a potato, put a little oil, salt and pepper on it and cook it for 8 or 9 minutes, then throw the steak in and they’re done at the same time.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.