Classic Cars

We stayed in Anchorage for a few days prior to one of our Alaskan cruises. This is a photo I took at a museum there of a 1952 Hudson Hornet that was used by the Alaska State Troopers.

1 Like

I think older cars were more like art.

I have never been a “car guy”, but recently I have taken a liking to old (60’s-70’s) pickups.
My son wanted one, but I was not spending that kind of money on a first car for a 16 y/o.

We saw this exhibit of art deco cars at the Frist in Nashville. It was, in a word, spectacular.

1 Like

The Delahave pictured is definitely a work of art.

I love art deco

I miss the simplicity of the older vehicles. I drove a 77 F150 for 10+ years. There are days I miss that truck, but i don’t miss the unreliable nature of it. With that being said, with a few tools and few parts, you could easily fix it where ever with ease. When was the last time you saw someone driving a modern car check the oil while at the gas station? There is a sensor for low oil, low tires, low transmission oil, low brake fluid, low washer fluid, etc. I would hot rod that old truck and I was never afraid of the RED LINE. I went through many clutches and transmissions after I rebuilt and hopped up the engine. I could swap the transmission in less than 2 hours and do a clutch job in less than 4. I did this more than once in the dorm parking lot. I’d go to the salvage yard and pull a transmission for $50, and have it back in a couple of hours.

You aren’t joking about the price of those older trucks. They have significantly appreciated in the last 10 years. If I was to buy another one today, I would swap a modern drive train into it or more likely body swap with a more modern truck.

I saw a 1975 Corvette on the road 20 minutes ago and I’m really appreciating the styling whereas I used to hate it. Maybe that means I’m officially old. I’m born in 1968 and I will own a car built in that year. Contenders are bmw 2002, MB 280SL, or mustang fastback.

I have a 2012 Tacoma with 200k miles, it’s bulletproof. I’m not a truck guy but I check out the Tacoma’s from the 90s when I see one in good condition.

Fastback has my vote!
BTW, have you seen the new Mustang SUV’s?

I don’t know if I love it or hate it?

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-select/

When I graduated from college in 1969 my mother bought me a new Cutlass S (sport) car for my graduation present. I Ioved that car but never thought that fifty years later that model would be considered a classic car.

My mother, who was a widow at the time, planned to buy that car in cash but the salesman talked her into financing it. Since my dad took care of all the family finances when he was alive, making financially sound decisions was not my mother’s forte. So I was very proud of her when she told me that after doing the math she realized that the total payments for that car would be much more than the purchase price if she financed it, so she called the salesman to tell him that after thinking it over she still wanted to buy my car in cash.

I like Mustangs of that era, but I’d probably go for a '68 GTO or Olds 442.

I’d definitely consider a muscle car, and it’ll need to be redone already. I don’t need a concours ready car but the only wrenching I want to do is maintenance.

I respect the Mach-e but it shouldn’t be called a mustang or use the mach name for that matter. People will buy it but not because it’s a mustang, in name only. The marketing people at Ford should be fired.

1 Like

Should they? More and more car makers are no longer making cars…they have shifted to SUV’s only. Ford marketing may taking the next step by getting the name associated with an SUV or Crossover.

I saw one recently, it was super sharp, but it ain’t no Mustang!!

The Mustang name has always been kind of sacred to Ford, if you can forget the Mustang II, don’t think it’s smart to water it down.

When my wife and I married she drove a 1980 BMW 318i. We drove that car until 1990. She loved that car and I think she would buy the right 2002 if we found one.

They’re amazing, a pure drivers car.

This is sacrilege to a true enthusiast but this might satisfy my craving.