Bills Bengals

Somewhat releted.
If you want an inspirational book, read “Rise and Walk” by Dennis Byrd.

This situation is so sad. In light of how dangerous it is for a helmet to hit another player’s chest, are there any rules to prevent something like this from happening again.

1 Like

No rules could have prevented this. The player hurt was making a legal tackle and just got hit at the wrong moment, in the wrong place. It’s a rare event, but aside from preventing tackling altogether, not sure what else could be done.

Never played Football at any level. Believe that the Pros are trained to tackle at hip level.

On a side note wonder if besides the hit to his chest , Hamlin was born with a defect to his heart.

The game will not be played this week.

Correct. Its actually surprising that this has not happened before in the NFL or in College Football. There have been numerous cases where soccer players have suffered cardiac arrest in the middle of the game…just not from contact.

I’m curious what they end up doing. Obviously, more important than football, but when they get back to that, this game could determine the #1 seed.

I am pretty sure the situation is going to be very fluid.
Giving out very little information at a time is very smart.

I’m pretty impressed with my kid. She saw the story while she was at her mom’s house. She said that it sounded like commotio cordis…that sounded Greek to us, but she was very aware of what it is, and based on what she heard, said that’s what it sounded like. I guess she was paying attention in class.

She had a patient that was a 17 year old that collapsed on a soccer field during a practice. He wasn’t hit, but had a blockage, but they said that the kid basically died and the efforts of the trainers and the goalie (who immediately began CPR) brought him back. But in the case with a bunch of amateurs, CPR was started in less than a minute and the AED was brought in almost immediately. I don’t know how long this guy was down before CPR or how long it took them to restart his heart., But I did see a story that said if his heart was restarted quickly, he’d likely be walking around in a day and back playing football in a month. The other thing I wonder about - how long was his brain not getting blood? He could have fairly significant brain damage because of this. A very sad and scary thing.

Anything is possible. Assuming this is the case, I am shocked that we don’t see this happen more often. Just think about the billions of tackles that happen between 5th graders through NFL in all the practice and games.

The tackle didn’t look anything out of normal in a football game.

1 Like

Here is an article from the Buffalo News on Hamlin’s injury and prognosis based on what is known as of today.
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/a-constellation-of-incredibly-bad-luck-befell-bills-safety-damar-hamlin-ub-heart-doctor-says/article_4a36de62-8b82-11ed-b862-870d117478be.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

Yeah, the question is going to be whether and for how long his brain was deprived of oxygen.

Anotber good article:

Well, if you want to get to the bottom of what really happened, find a Yahoo article about it and read the comments. Most “doctors” posting there say tt’s because he was vaccinated on the 26th. Life is good in Conspiracyville

A college player who survived it in 2012.

OH…it can happen. And he may well survive this. But the bigger question is - how long was his brain without blood and oxygen? Because this could permanently disable him (mentally)

Agreed, that my worry as well.

1 Like

Buffalo Bill fan here. If they get Hamlin off the ventilator (breathing on his own) I think the chances of a good recovery is high. Return to football? I don’t know about that.

1 Like

Reading the comments from pretty much any Yahoo article about this - you see this a lot - “he was vaccinated Dec 26”. Life is great in conspiracyville I guess

1 Like

That is an example ot why I generally do not read any comments on any article I read.

1 Like