Another tipping thread

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/2024/04/15/restaurants-without-waiters-tipping

Interesting idea. I’d have no problem ordering off my phone and not having a waitress come to the table, especially at fast casual or mid priced restaurants. I’d still like a waitress or waiter at a high end joint.

This is a great idea even at fine restaurants. You can have mid-price restaurants that are $80-$110 for 3.

I’m Maryland, we pay $4.50/hr so giving a 15-20% tip may be reasonable. But restaurants highest costs is labor so if you pay servers $15-$20/hr in DC instead of $4.50/hr, you will pay more for your meal and triple tip the server. When we get a haircut, I usually tip 10-15%, instead of 20-25%. They usually have a booth fee. My wife got tricked into giving a 35% tip. I was pissed

I do think that if someone provides little service, they either are busy, or if quiet, the person needs more training, make minimum wage, or find another job not a 15-20% tip on top of $20/hr. That’s entitlement

But how much should you pay for excellent service. 15%, 12%, or 10% instead of 20%.

That Axios article is similar to Mission Barbecue here. Absolutely love it. Though it’s annoying when the wife or kid doesn’t buy a specialty item and still wants the sampler. It’s cheaper just to buy everything and share

A lot of restaurants and bars had this model in Sydney. I like to talk to bartenders to see what beer is good or food. Hed tell me the beer id like, id say ill take one and he said i had to order from the table with a QR code. It took 10 minutes to get the beer when the bartender was 3 feet from me and not pouring anything.

1 Like

That’s odd. Sitting at the bar ordering a drink should be handled by a bartender and they should be tipped. I can see this system working while sitting at a table, order on an app, they bring it to you, pay on the app or with cash and leave.

IMO when you’re dropping close to $100 per person at a steak house you want the whole experience, including a waitress or waiter. Going to the Olive Garden or Bonefish Grill ordering from an app makes sense.

1 Like

Agreed

Same with the local Mexican restaurant. An app is just so much more convenient as is the New Zealand way of paying at the cash register

I’ll have the fajita and I’ll be glad to get it. I also like to pay when I’m ready to leave so paying by app is more convenient then signing a piece of paper

I think the mid-price restaurants which might be $20-$40 a person are not as special as they think they are - aka Outback, Texas Roadhouse, or Burtons

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.