Another sports story with social issues and a player's actions

This article seems to be factual without opinion injected into it:

But, the player is predictably getting backlash:

I saw the interview with him and he just said because of his religion he chooses not to wear the Jersey, he didn’t say anything remotely homophobic.

I wonder how many of these people bashing Provorov even know the difference between a blue line and a red line.

They know a thin Blue line is bad because it supports police.

And it continues:

I don’t know what justification the NHL could use to fine the Philadelphia Flyers over a player not participating in something the team organized and which the league had nothing to do with.

1 Like

Two things.

1. This guy Seixeiro is kind of a d-bag. From the link;
    “And one last point – nothing scares me more than any human being who says I’m not doing this because of my religious beliefs,” he said. “Because when you look at people’s lives who normally say that publicly, you’d throw up at what you saw. You would throw up at what you saw.”

2. In the other link the NHL literally says that all of this is voluntary. From the ESPN link;
    "The NHL, in response to ESPN’s request for comment, said Wednesday in a statement that players are “free to decide which initiatives to support.”

1 Like

I can’t help but post his. Language warning.

And it goes on:

He can go back to Russia.

Is that as racist as “go back to Africa”?

No, not racist. Just dumb.

Edit: Example 1A from the article:

“If this is that much of a problem for him to maybe assimilate into his group of teammates and in the community and here in this country; that’s okay,” he said. “Listen you can feel any way you want, but the beauty is, if it bothers you that much, there’s always a chance to leave.”

Imagine the outrage if someone said that to a minority group here.

Maybe xenophobic?

I pains me to do this, but in all fairness, there is one similarity to Kapernick.
If he doesn’t get resigned, people will blame this, but to be honest, he is a career -18 +/- player, which is very below average.

+/- is routinely cited but is a pretty meaningless stat. He’s played nearly 500 games, which means he is a solid journeyman player.

So was Kap.