364 to go

From the annals of “I’m from the government and I’m here to help you.”

The WSJ reported this week that feds issued new dietary guidelines keeping current allowances for sugar and alcohol consumption, rejecting recommendations by its scientific advisory committee to make significant cuts.

I dropped almost 40lb doing low carb 12 years ago, losing that weight enabled me to start running, paddleboarding, mountain biking, etc. I went from 225 to 190, currently weigh 180lb and will do my best to lose 5lb before my Hawaii trip at the end of the month. I won’t be strict low carb but won’t eat sweets or empty carbs.

Hmm…wonder if the Budweiser lobby was involved here somehow.

I’m in a similar place. Carbs are a useful macronutrient, & whole/unconcentrated carbs are accompanied by useful micronutrients. I just avoid the junk.

It’s the amount of sugar they add to food. Look at how much sugar is added then measure it out. It’s shocking

The dose makes the poison, and sugar’s inappropriately huge doses in the modern American diet is certainly a low-grade poison. It numbs people’s taste buds & functions like an addiction (sugar addicts cannot adequately enjoy black coffee, plain tea, savory foods, etc). The glucose+fructose molecule (which is sucrose or table sugar) is a double whammie on the liver, which must process the fructose, circulatory system tissues which must endure the damage done by high blood glucose, & the pancreas which has to work overtime to crank out insulin to put out both of these fires.

Wheat & to a lesser extent corn are also problems. These things can be heavily refined & concentrated, so that you are getting an enormous glucose load that would never have been available to our prehistoric ancestors (whose genes we still have & which were never adapted to these mega doses of glucose). Terrible for people’s blood sugar regulation & hormonal stability/equilibrium.

All of these things wreck the body’s homeostasis & cause cravings. People struggling with obesity & junk food cravings should go cold turkey detox on these foods & allow their metabolisms to learn to function without them. Then, after their systems are more functional & efficient, most people can eat them again in low doses without seeing problems return.