World Cup site

Interesting, Arrowhead is grass, I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision.

Grass would have been a requirement for the stadium to host the World Cup, and the hosting facility would have to commit to it. If the facility has artificial turf, the hosting facility would have to factor in the cost of installing a grass field as part of its overall analysis.

Going on memory, they also covered old Giants Stadium in New Jersey with grass in 1994 as well.

I remember that. The Silverdome was covered and the dome did not open. They first laid down some soil. Then had to lay sod early enough for sod to take hold and then keep it alive until the game was played (one in 93 and one in 94). They also had to water it and, I think, not run the a/c. I recall the players complained about the heat and humidity in the stadium. I don’t know if other only indoor stadium soccer matches have been played.

The turf at The Benz isn’t good enough? I’ve never seen injuries and they’ll even water it at the half to enable sliding.

FIFA requires all matches be played on grass. Artificial turf is a non-starter. I can see where having artificial turf could affect the game.