Tax Penalty for being widowed

I agree. Any tax on income should be uniform across the income spectrum. To tax differing levels and types of income at different rates is unfair itself. I just about scream every time I hear a politician say that some group is not paying their fair share (a term they never define and provide no rationalization for the tax rate selected).

2 Likes

Anyone using that phrase has zero ability to do rational math

1 Like

True, there are people that think someone paying over 30% isnā€™t enough and others paying zero is too much. Real fairness would be a flat rate, the rich will still be paying a lot and the poor still very little.

Its the rallying cry of the Left and it caters to a lot of weak-minded peopleā€¦including a few on this board. The most taxed form of income is W-2 earned income. I am going to retire in another year with real estate income and qualified dividends and I wont pay any SS taxes. My effective tax rate will be around 10% with income in the top 5%. Yeah me !!

1 Like

Be sure to understand IRMAA when you go on Medicare.

I havenā€™t looked at those sites, but Russian women in general look great. All of the former Soveit bloc countries for that matter

I will have another 13 years before that happensā€¦

First time I heard that was from Bill Clinton. Apparently it works well because we keep hearing it.

When I hear lefties use the phrase fair share I think of the Princess Bride.

I think biden sanctioned the mail order brides out of russia. You might have to get a bitcoin wallet to complete your transaction and figure out how to smuggle her out.

Well played!!

Side comment, but I have mentioned before how my daughter is in band. Of course parents are assessed and expected to pay an amount every semester. The district calls this the ā€œfair share.ā€ I asked before if they could think of some other name for this, as I have the same reaction to that as mentioned here. However, they say that they are limited in what they can call it.

Do they have fundraisers to offset that?

Yes, but they only make a small dent.

I donā€™t have a problem with paying the fee or whatever you want to call it. I just think they could think of a more appropriate thing to call it. Every time they refer to it as ā€œthe fair shareā€ I think of Hillary Clinton talking about how some people donā€™t want to pay their fair share.

I am asking more out of curiosity.
What do they do for some people who maybe canā€™t afford it?

I was on the board.of directors during middle school. They said that any parents who had problems paying it could speak to them privately. They would have worked with them and let them pay whatever they could. That rarely happened. More often you had some parents who simply did not pay anything.

I get that the district doesnā€™t provide enough funding and that there is a cost to being in the band. I donā€™t think they do a good enough job communicating this all of the time, and calling the payment a ā€œfair shareā€ doesnā€™t help, IMHO

That is cool.
Our HS Band can be very expensive (so glad our kids didnā€™t do it), we refer to it as a cult around here.
But they do a ton of fundraisers so that it isnā€™t a financial burden on the parents.

There is a balancing act with fund raisers. I support the kids doing them up to a point. However, if one is not careful, they can end up taking too much time at the expense of studies. I still remember doing fund raisers from high school myself. Fortunately with me, it was never too much.

I would not call band a cult here. It must have been really different where you are.

They have gone to NY and Hawaii almost every other year.

Especially if KC cheats on her, he might fall down a flight of stairs. Seems to be a russian thing.