Side hustle questions about a travel trailer

Tow vehicle was a Tacoma too, what I’m driving.

Ive decided on a trailer but going to rent one to see if I’m into it or not. And haven’t decided whether I’ll put it on rvshare or not. Ultimately it’s just a thing and will be heavily insured if a renter trashes it.

It’s one of those things people either love or hate, there’s only one way to find out. I follow a few YouTubers that are full time, some spend $5,000 and more a month staying at RV parks with all the amenities and other boondock and live off a small social security check.

My sister and her husband in Arizona have a nice fifth wheel toy hauler, they go out in the desert for a few days to a week at a time. They have quads and sometimes bring the horses, they have solar, a generator, huge water tank, house sized refrigerator/freezer and they can stay out until they run out of water.

Good advice. I have experience, but not for over 20 years.

This is so easily researched, I can’t see how that is possible (yes I do, people are dumb).

Campingworld.com has a vin lookup for your trucks tow capacity. My Tacoma is rated to 6500, has the towing pkg, and the trailer I’m looking at will weigh 5000 for a camping trip.

Here is a good reason not to rent your camper. My wifes cousin rented one the other day. Here is the stories i heard. They didnt have a hitch with trailer brake wiring. They towed it on the bumper without trailer breaks. They forgot to latch the hitch and when they jack knifed while backing up the hitch came off. This limited the damage from the truck bumper to nose of camper. They didnt use chock blocks when un hitching and trailer rolled back and bent up the stabilize jacks. The truck is too small and without brakes they are afraid to drive over 40mph. I’d offer to tow thier camper back to the owner but i don’t want to hitch it up to my truck and take the risk of the owner trying to file a claim on my truck.

Good stuff. I’m almost surely buying this trailer next week but I definitely will not rent it out just yet. I want to get well versed in RV life and have all safety equipment and accessories bought up before I consider listing on a website. The trailer I’m buying is 22k out the door and renting was never required to afford it anyway.

The same people that would tow a 6000lb trailer with a 4Runner because their salesman said they could probably bought got a 500k mortgage making $90,000 a year based upon their realtor’s advice.