Renting vs Buying

When my daughter’s family lived in Virginia they had a three car garage and only two cars. They also had a three car garage with only two cars when they lived in Florida. Then when they moved to Atlanta they wanted a three car garage but could not find a house with a three car garage that had everything else they wanted, five bedrooms, a spacious lot, excellent schools, reasonable commute, etc so they bought a house that only has a two car garage. They recently bought a third car so now they have three cars and only a two car garage.

Most of the homes in my subdivision have a three car garage but some are tandem where one stall goes two cars deep. It’s fine to park 2 cars and have a shop/storage area or park a classic car or motorcycle you don’t drive often, but it’s a pain if you have 3 daily drivers.

Two car garages used to have pretty decent storage. My dad’s house was built in 1972. HIs garage was long enough that even with a 1973 Chrysler Newport in the garage, there was plenty of room in front for him to have a work area with a built in workbench and tool storage. My previous houses here were built in the 90’s and both would fit the cars and that was about it. Not much room to store things. My current house was built in 1975 but has enough room in front of one side that I have a snow blower, garbage cans and a pressure washer and two bicycles there. The guy who owned ti before me had a motorcycle parked there. I think newer homes have smaller garages as a marketing tool…to get people to want a 3 car garage. And since I am an empty nester, I don’t have 2 cars anymore, so I’ve got tons of room in my lowly two car garage.

My house in Connecticut only has a two car garage but my house was built at a time when many homes only had a one car garage and very few had a three car garage. However it is 26x26 which is big for a two car garage.

We don’t think abuot it much today, but these are first world problems. When I was in high school we had a two car garage. Mom and dad’s cars were in the garage, my car and both my sisters cars were outside, although dad did build a pad to the side to park a truck he bought for odd jobs. That was an oddity too…A F150 with bench seats and a 3 in the tree manual transmission.

I looked at those but I’m too cheap.

I won’t buy another brand after using them.

Don’t we live in the first world?

It depends where you live.

Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s. they had different style of garage doors.[at least where I lived] Not sure what they were called, maybe barnyard doors.

There was a pair of doors and they were connected to the frame with hinges. The doors would open outward. Would have difficulty in the winter opening the doors due to snow/ice on the ground. No pushing of a button to open or close the doors

I remember a one piece door that tilted into the garage that was spring loaded to make it easier, but that was 50 years ago.

For a while there I thought we might have a thread without politics. I knew you wouldn’t let me down. What does that have to do with 3 car garages? They have a shitload of them in California, which is kind of liberal.

Yes, we do. That is why deciding between a two car garage or 3 car garage only usually happens here. People in some other countries wonder where the next meal comes from.

Flying out of NY for TWA a bunch of us had a crash pad (google “airline crash pad”).

It was a Long Island house built in the 20s/30s? The detached garage was typical for that time. My “airport car” was a 1976 Chevy Impala, about as big as they got! If I pulled into the garage and kissed the rear wall with my bumper the garage door would not close.About a foot of the car stuck out!