Organ meats dirt cheap

I made my own soup out of tongue. Carrots, garlic, herbs, broth/stock. Was delicious, and the tongue stayed tender.

Have had lengua in a Mexican taco restaurant and it wasn’t as good. I think moisture is a key trait with this one.

I used to be wary for this reason as well. Unless the animal is exceptionally unhealthy/sick, this isn’t really a problem. Buying grass fed mitigates this risk almost completely.

I like both of these as well. Americans’ phobia of rare meat goes back to the early 1900s when cows were kept in much more squalid conditions than they are today, and allowed to become extremely ill before slaughter.

In those times they had to add chalk to the milk because it was a disgusting gray color.

Once sanitation standards caught up, this stopped being a problem. But many people retained their practices.

On the topic of milk, this is when they also started pasteurization, which got much of the credit for the decrease in sick consumers, but to my mind did not accomplish much positive. Much of the nutritive value of animal foods are the microbes that come with it.

Pasteurization kills good bacteria with the bad and results in indigestible milk for many people, as they cannot digest the casein proteins. Cows should be kept in sanitary enough conditions that their milk does not need to be pasteurized.

I like my steak rare maybe very rare. Cold center is ok. Hamburger is more dangerous to consume rare. basically all the crap gets ground up.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.