NFL tells owners they spent $800 million on fired coaches and executives

This cracks me up. The NFL now thinks it needs to let its owners know how much they are paying out to fired coaches and executives. I guess these owners are too dumb to know this themselves.

NFL officials went so far as to compose spreadsheets specific to each team about the employees they fired and the costs incurred by the team, according to sources. The league wanted each team to see the exact cost for instability and the employees they paid for services no longer rendered.

$800m is a substantial amount, even for them.

I get preaching patience. It has worked for the Steelers, who seem to stick with coaches through bad years.

But, IDK the timing of this warning may not be good for the Broncos. I’m not sure their coach deserves patience.

From what I have read, the new Broncos’ ownership has way more than enough money to be able to fire their coach and eat the remainder of his salary.

As a comparison, some have noted that the Raiders may not be able to fire Josh McDanields even if they wanted to because Mark Davis isn’t wealthy enough to be able to afford to pay off fired coaches. I read somewhere that if Davis did not already own the Raiders, he would not qualify financially to purchase an NFL team.

Back to the original point, I think most of these owners know how much money they are spending and don’t need to be told this. As a non-NFL example, when Terry Pegula purchased the Buffalo Sabres he said his objective was to win the Stanley Cup and that money would be no object. That was a contrast to the previous owner, who ran the franchise with a focus on the bottom line which resulted in their two best players leaving in free agency from what was a real Stanley Cup contender. After first frivolously spending money on some free agents to show that the Sabres were now going to spend money, to firing six coaches and three general managers, all the while not making the playoffs, Pegula suddenly realized how much money he was losing on the Sabres. He then started taking about needing to run a leaner organization, and cutbacks came.

Similarly, if any NFL owners are going to have sudden epiphany on how much they are spending on fired coaches and executives, they will figure it out on their own. Nothing the NFL tell them will make any difference.

This is a great talking point when any team asks the public for stadium money.

I get what you are saying, but in the overall scheme of things this is a drop in the bucket compared to what a stadium would cost. If you use the average per team, that works out to $5 million per team per year. By comparison, the Buffalo Bills’ new stadium is currently forecasted to cost $1.4 billion. If you use very rough math, that would take 280 years to pay for the stadium with that amount per year.

Plus, not all franchises are created equal here. That argument would work with franchises like the Giants, who are given as an example in the story. It would not work with the Steelers, as MCarley alludes too.

My argument then would be to create a “stadium fund” to be used by the NFL for new stadium construction.

I would like to see the research done for college coaches too.

The NFL does have its in-house G4 loan program.

They can start with Nebraska. :grinning:

Edit: Here is a link on Nebraska. At the end it includes a database of all college football programs.

I think I commented on this before.
First, I am not a fan of Trev Alberts.
Second, this almost seems like he timed the firing of Frost to ensure the largest payout for him, it was fishy.

I will look at the link later, but by memory, Charlie Weis I think had the craziest back to back buyouts.