Insurance Driving up Costs

“Boooooo hoo hoo hoo! Why doesn’t anyone show me any respect around here?? I act like such an intelligent adult, it is an absolute mystery to me :sob::sob::sob:

I saw a meme that said something like the new insurance in America is a GoFundMe to help pay medical bills.

Lower than insurance…just like the free market

Apples and oranges I’ll freely admit, but prescription drug prices are largely free market in the U.S., and we all know how that’s been of such tremendous benefit in controlling drug prices don’t we? :cold_face:

My wife’s employers pays 83% of the cost or $9.85/hr. My employer pays 60% or $5.19/hr.

Because taxpayers have to pay for healthcare, we should require employers to provide a subsidy for health insurance by contributing to a person’s HSA. This way people have to buy high deductible health plans and get to use this money for healthcare or to pay the premiums once they get a physical

Citizens should have the option of a public option or private insurance but citizens should get a $2,000 tax rebate for getting health insurance at 21 and a 10% tax penalty for waiting past 25. But we shouldn’t have our kids on our health insurance till age 26. We should have portable insurance where you cannot be denied

The problem is we allow deadbeat hospitals to collect on more than the $500

Well, not quite. When it comes to costs, hospitals will gladly accept $500 for an $8,000 bill, if it’s from an insurance company. If it isn’t, and you don’t pay, they write off $8,000 instead of $500, and then point to the $8,000 as a loss, but not the $7,500. It reminds me of something my dad said to a car dealer when he was negotiating on a new car for my then finacee. He told the dealer, we either need to talk retail to retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale, but not retail to wholesale like you are trying to do. Retail at the hospital is $8000. Wholesale is $500.

Actually, my company matches $1 for $1 contributions into an HSA. So I will put in $3,800 this year and end up with $7,600 in contributions. I spend as little as possible from the HSA so that will grow and I can spend it later in life…unless of course the government confiscates it at some point.

1 Like

In order to entice people to opt for the high deductible plan, my employee would contribute $1000 for single or $1500 for a family. People were still leery, and while the company offered a worksheet, IMO, it was flawed. When they offered the high deductible (with HSA) it did not account for the employees contribution. I had been paying $250 month for the “regular” plan, that dropped to $36 a month for teh high deductible plan. When I signed up, I set it to deposit $220 to the HSA, so that it looked like nothing changed. Worked well for me. 2022 is the last year I can contribute, although it’s prorated because I couldn’t contribute after August.