If you were an elite NFL quarterback in line for a big-time contract...?

The difference is Carson was a medical doctor.

Frankenstein was a chemist. It’s why you don’t let chemist do surgery.

THat’s right. Because of injuries on the offensive line, besides the injured player, other players shifted to positions that didn’t play the whole year. But yeah…he got a look at what might happen if you don’t have a supporting cast. Now…I’m not sure how good this Dak Prescott guy is, but I saw an article that two of his offensive weapons may have to go in the next couple of years because of his contract.

Word just came out that Mahomes restructured his contract to allow more cap space for the Chiefs.

Right after they cut both of his OTs?

Check back in September.
Both have publicly defended Mahomes’ contract.

Good point. Maybe they’ll find a way to keep them.

I am not a huge Chiefs fan, but living in KC I like them and follow them.
I would never count out Andy Reid in putting together a formative Offensive Line.

I haven’t been to a Chiefs game in about 10 years. Cheap tickets could be had, but parking and a coke and burger for me and my kid ran it up to a $100 outing, And I might have checked in on the game a few times, but I never sat and watched a game. Until Mahomes. He’s made them fun to watch. The fact that he’s so damned humble just makes me like him more.

Sorry for being late to get back to the party. The key word here is “restructured.” When NFL players restructure their contracts, they don’t give anything back. Rather, restructuring is a euphemism for playing games with the salary cap rules to give you enough space to sign more players. Teams that do this too much end up in salary-cap purgatory, like the Saints are in now.

As one example of restructuring, going on memory, when it was finally determined that Tom Brady would be suspended four games for deflategate, the Patriots restructured his contract to convert most of his base salary to a bonus. The Patriots did that because Brady would only be docked his annual salary and not his bonus, and that was their way of giving the NFL a middle finger to the face.

Most of the time, though, when a player converts an annual payment to a bonus it is to spread the bonus out through the remaining years of the contract rather than having it count against the salary cap all in the current year. However, that ends up biting the team in the rear-end when later on when they are ready to cut that player and the prorated part of the bonus stays on the salary cap as dead money. It is analogous to a household charging a bunch on things on the credit card for one year and having to pay off the bills later on.