I can't imagine being this parent

Do you have stats for that? That isn’t my experience at all. That cops don’t care about public safety but only revenue generation or that cops never enforce speeding in the cities?

CHP does highway. Cities do the streets.

There is no such thing as speeding cops. They are traffic enforcement officers.

Based on the average fine, I can’t see it being much for revenue since the cost often exceeds what they bring in. Revenue was never mentioned once at the department I worked or anyone I know at any department. It was all about public safety.

Are you describing TDU as ‘tactical gear’? We could only wear TDU when we have inclement weather or when doing a tactical operation.

TDU can be washed at home. The typical uniform has to be dry cleaned.

I will say there is legitimacy to this.
Some departments have gone to an outside of uniform shirt vest, and full vest to hold their gear.
I believe a small, but significant change would be to put officers back in Class A almost all the time, it makes the officers more approachable.
Most of KCPD is in Class A.

While they have now moved to SUV’s here…not that long ago Overland Park, KS had Crown Vics with no light bar on top painted in gray or maroon or blue…that were “marked” with “police” on the side, but they did not stand out at all. Some of their SUV’s are similarly marked. It’s hard to tell it’s a cop.

Ok.

You don’t add much to this forum Bears.

I’m talking about combat boots, tactical pants, kevlar vest, didn’t look like a normal cop. I didn’t particularly care especially once he let me off with a warning but his uniform was exactly de-escalating.

The boots are worn all the time, they are comfortable and necessary, you usually don’t notice if the officer is in regular pants. But I agree that the rest is unneccesary.

That’s absolutely correct.

Many cops convince themselves they are pulling speeders over for safety, and then go and speed themselves.

It’s about revenue.

To be fair, individual cops have little impact on policy. They don’t get to choose where they patrol.

In cities across CA, the state awards $ to set up DUI checkpoints. These catch approximately zero DUI drivers, but occasionally, they’ll get one or two people with outstanding warrants or other things. It has close to zero impact on safety, but hundreds of people are inconvenienced. And, the departments love them because the cops get a bunch of overtime $.

It has been known for years that DUI checkpoints are a waste.
Wolfpack patrols are much more efficient and effective

Plus let’s be honest— If someone can hold his liquor and drive safely at 0.09 but someone else cannot at 0.06, then why should we have these arbitrary limits that would get people at these checkpoints?

That’s Orwellian precrime bullshit.

I could write a thesis on what is wrong with our DUI laws.
Start with .08 isn’t based on science. Then go with a .08 and a .16 carry the same penalty.
Then go with MADD has way too much power.

If I were a cop I’d feel pretty bad ass kitted out in combat gear and driving my zombie day police car all murdered out. But I wouldn’t do it because of the image it would promote.