Higher Energy Prices: The Goal Of Biden’s Green Team

The only thing you’ve posted in the last year that makes sense. :smiley:

You can buy an electric vehicle, get a stand alone solar system for your house and you’ll be 100% off fossil fuels and actually doing something other than telling others what to do.

I have 4 horses. I would like to see hitching posts and dedicated horse lanes so I can ride my horse to work. We also need the government to install hay and water stations to accommodate my alternative transportation. If the government accommodates the horse riders, more people will ride their horses to work and leave their trucks at home. Just imagine, no need for fossil fuels. We can all save the planet if we all just started riding horses everywhere.

Youre right. IT’s not a 100% solution, so fuck it. Just bitch. It’s the AMerican way. HOow many of your coworkers in your downtown office live 60 miles from work? Bikes won’t work for rural commutes. But there are likely a lot of people who live a lot closer to work. But since 100% of the people won’t ride a bike, don’t do anything to accommodate more. They have bike lanes already. And while they are at it…get rid of those "compact car only " spaces because I don’t own a compact car . And screw the charging stations because I can’t pull a horse trailer with my Tesla.

What are your suggestions for reducing our reliance on gasoline? Nevermind. The answer is “buy a diesel…they don’t burn gas”.

I looked at that site. I will give them credit in that they selected a route where public transit was a viable option with the subway and rail lines. From my perspective, if I had to make that commute I would use the public transit, and it would be a no-brainer. Even if it takes a little bit longer, it is cheap and I don’t need to worry about driving in that (mostly) stop- and (minimally) go traffic. I do not enjoy driving in traffic like that at all and would much rather sit and let somebody else drive. However, I would venture to say that for 99.99% of commuters in this area public transit does not give them a comparable option.

Also, in watching that I got the idea the cyclist was treating it like a contest and was going faster than he normally would. I am guessing that his time would have been a bit closer to the car had he been treating it like a regular commute. Knowing that route, there would be a lot of stopped cars and, in some areas, pedestrians, so one would have to be cognizant of that. As the one guy said, lane-splitting is legal in California, but that does not make it safe. If I was lane-splitting, I would be going at a slow enough speed to make sure that I didn’t come into a car changing lanes that did not see me.

And, it looked like they all started from a parking garage, which added more time for the guy taking public transit to walk to the station whereas the driver and cyclist left right away. I think a more accurate measure would have been to have them start at the entrance to the building and then have to go from there. Overall, I think it was a wash.

BUT- Have you considered the CO2 those horses belch into the atmosphere? Not to mention their methane flatulence that expedites global warming. (Or is it cooling?)

That is another reason the climate change zealots are full of baloney. They should be against pets, especially big animals like horses.

There are a couple of things that would make a bike attractive. First - ebikes. They are a game changer. Some even have a throttle so you don’t have to pedal if you don’t want to. Personally, I don’t consider those bicycles. There are also bikes like mine called pedelecs - pedal electric. I have to pedal to get any assistance. Since I use mine for leisure and a workout, I have tuned the assistance way down. But if you put it in high mode, it’s a very pleasant ride and reasonably “fast” - 20-25 mph - even if you do have to pedal. And if 20 mph doesn’t seem fast - track a drive and see what your average speed is.

Second - racks and bags. YOu can carry a laptop or briefcase, and a surprising amount of other stuff. In my trunk bag alone I have had a second jacket, second pair of gloves, different head gear and a heavy duty lock. Also, a six pack of beer fits nicely in the bag and a bottle of wine will fit on one of the bottle cages.

Finally - one thing that is much easier on the bike - side streets. Lighter traffic and in a lot of cases easier to navigate. And you don’t have to worry about passing a line of stopped cars. If you hit a traffic bottleneck, hop on the sidewalk or turn around to get to another street and take an alternate route.

And yet you are wrong as the government didn’t mandate until years later.

Automotive Airbag History and Invention (thoughtco.com)

Oh…Ford had seatbelts before they were mandated and I believe GM had airbags before they were mandated. But nobody was willing to pay extra, so they dropped them… Point being…they didn’t want them then, but today, even though they contribute to the higher price for a car, few people would buy a car without them. We had statistics showing that both saved lives, but people didn’t want to pay for it. Then the government mandated it. And it turns out, even nanny state hating Americans ended up liking them.

I do too. We drive a lot but the freedom to choose what to drive, when to drive, and where to drive is worth the high cost. Gas prices are part of the ownership of having a car.

It’s about 20 cents a mile to fill up the minivan $80 and tends to average 12-15 cents a mile for the Subaru $50