Foods that evoke a memory

I needed to know this in 2019 when we were in Lawrence, and this past August when we drove through Nebraska from McCook to Valentine. Looks like a return is in order.

We have tried to make them at home, but nothing compares to getting them from the resturaunt.

My Polish mother in law used to, but will usually buy them at a polish store. They have all the European imports and have some old ladies making the perogies in the store, you can buy them fresh or frozen. And they’re pretty cheap and as good as homemade.

1 Like

Yes, but it was generally a holiday thing (Christmas and Easter). Most frequently, they were sauerkraut, potato, potato & cheese or potato & chives. Meat was too expensive for pierogis.

I miss the Easter fund raisers of the Polish Catholic Churches in the Detroit area. They’d get the Polish ladies together to make pierogis and sell them by the dozen. You could buy a few dozen and freeze them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.