Fight for $15 question

You have been trying to sell political neutrality for years…

You cannot legislate behavior and you cannot legislate equal outcomes. We are in a capitalist society and there are going to be winners and loser. Some people were dealt a bad hand and some people won the gene pool lottery, no doubt. For most of us our outcome is determined by how much effort we want to put into life, the decisions we make, and how much risk we are willing to take.

I can’t dunk a basketball nor drive a golf ball 350 yards so I chose something other than professional athlete. That’s just the way it goes. No one is entitled to be successful or wealthy.

For those that support raising the minimum to a $15 living wage, I assume you support the ending of food stamps, rent subsidies, healthcare subsidies, etc for all working people making $15?

If people make a living wage, fewer of them will need those things.

“Living wage” is a meaningless phrase.

The argument is that people are not paid a living wage. If they have a living wage (i.e. $15) then they don’t need government subsidies. Do you consider $15 a living wage ($30K per year)?

If $30K is the living wage, why do we not give people on disability $30K per year? Why do we have retired grandma’s that make less than $30K on social security?

If they no longer qualify for the assistance, assuming that the standards aren’t changed, then the government should not provide it. They will have transferred their governmental responsibilities to employers and we’ll all pay the higher costs of good and services as a result (as well as the taxes that once provided those benefits).

Roughly a starting teacher salary in the midwest.
How much will we then have to pay them and how much will our property and state taxes go up?
The economy is not a vacuum.

Exactly. Assuming all people worked making a living wage and nobody need government assistance, theoretically, taxes should be decreased accordingly but this would never happen.

Which suggests that teachers in the Midwest are underpaid.

Is it? You can buy a house, have a car, etc.

Do you think entry level jobs should pay enough to have 4 cars, a mansion and servant?

Also for 9 months of work. Not many jobs get summer vacation, winter vacation, and spring break.

Lets not forget about pension fund…

LOL, I don’t know a teacher anywhere who works only 9 months a year.

All the teachers I know do. Do you have year round school?

We are not on year round schedules. My sister is a teacher. Sometimes she will pick up a summer gig and sometimes she takes the 10 weeks off. In addition, they get all the holidays, week at thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, and spring break. In my corporate job, I get some of the holidays and 15 days off. I think I forgot to mention that I don’t have one of those pension plans either.

I get some holidays. A few mental health days and unlimited vacations. I took like 1 vacation day last year.

And the fight for 15 will diminish their buying power.

When people put in the minimum effort and have minimum skills they’ll get the minimum.

How many people do you know that earn minimum wage? My kid charges $25 for a 50 minute tutoring session online and during the summer $30 for a private tennis lesson or $10 a kid for a group of 5. He’s 20 years old and figured out how to earn, why can’t others?

Not true, there are many school districts in Illinois where the average teacher pay is over $100,000 average for 181 days of work. Pretty sweet.

I don’t know any teachers that work more than 9 months per year.