Favorite College Football Team

U of Miami, though I never went there or to any college. I grew up in Miami and was in HS when the U won their first championship in 1986.

They won their first national championship in 1983. Technically, it was the 1984 Orange Bowl when they beat Nebraska for it.

It’s deja vu all over again.

You are correct, I HAVE been drinking for the last 4 hours and will be for the next 6 hours.

Speaking of Notre Dame - Does anyone have an opinion about why so many people who never went to Notre Dame are such ardent fans of their football team? That has always been a mystery to me. My son-in-law is a fan of Notre Dame football but that is because he has his MBA from Notre Dame University.

I think notre dame is the official team of Irish catholics. My ex wife’s father went to ND and pitched for their baseball team for one year before he dropped out. His wife got pregnant and he decided to get a job to provide for his family. He now donates about 500k annually to ND.

It was/is generally looked at as THE Catholic university of the midwest, if not the US. That’s despite other notably Catholic universities.

I had a friend who had a BS and JD from ND and also worked with an attorney who had her JD from ND. They were insufferable during football season, but otherwise very nice and good people.

1 Like

You must be happy with the result today. The Houston Texans won’t go 0-17. :grinning:

1 Like

My ability to hold a grudge is epic!

More on your favorite coach that you will like:

And this:

They are calling for Clay Helton’s head after USC’s loss to Stanford. I can see already the Meyer to USC talk heating up later this year, complete with comparisons to Nick Saban.

Funny story, my wife follows football a little bit, but doesn’t know the names of coaches like those of us crazies.
We watched the ESPN special on Alex Smith’s recovery, and they did an interview with Urban Meyer.
My wife paused the TV and said, “My god, he sounds like a D-bag”.
My response was, “how can you be that good of a judge of character just watching a 20 second clip?”

Here is another article that you will like:

Especially this quote:

Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz
@LeBatardShow

Deep within, in a place long dormant, something visceral stirs, filled with acid and contempt. I wish to be better than rooting for the failure/misery of others, but I can’t keep it down: I’m rooting for Urban Meyer to feel like this on Sundays for as long as time remains — Dan

This past weekend it was Jacksonville State University. After receiving $400k for going to Fla. State to be a punching bag, they beat the Seminoles. I’m a little partial, my daughter and son in law met while both were in marching band there. Marching band is a BIG deal at JSU.