Donating PTO

Gotcha, I misread.

I thought it was odd people where complaining about the CEO asking employees if they wanted to help their fellow employee. My company doesn’t offer anything like it, it seems more of a government job thing.

I don’t know how federal or other states or even other counties in Kansas do it. We don’t have a use it or lose it policy with time off. We might have some limits on accruals, but If you had 3 weeks of sick leave on December 31, you still had 3 weeks of sick leave on January second. Vacation time had a maximum accrual. But a lot of people didn’t use it all.

I think anger at the CEO is misdirected. It should be directed at their leave policy. If companies allowed vacation to carry over - people might have an abundance of it. It doesn’t cost the company any more to pay out excess when an employee leaves that it does if they paid it out as they took it. But most companies don’t do that. I know that prior to my last job, the policy was use it or lose it, and they always seemed to be short staffed in December with people taking “their time”. In 20 years with my county, we were fully staffed. in December.

The source for this story is “Your Tango”, which is notorious for recycling old news. The story this is about happened over a year ago. And most of their “sources” come from reddit. Had I worked at that company or any company that had a use it or lose it policy, I likely would not have donated any time since it’s unlikely that I would have had enough to donate.

Also, we had to mantain at least 80 hours of sick leave before you could donate any. If somebody was in dire straits, I could do a small part to help them out… I guess the lefty liberal commie in me believes that if I were the sick one, others would do the same for me.

That is not true. If a company allows employees to carry vacation over with no limits, they have that liability on their books. And, if the employee held onto the vacation days for many years and then cashed it out all at once, the employee would get paid at his current rate, not the rate during the year the vacation was first earned. Putting those two things together, companies could easily end up with a lot of unpaid vacation on their books.

I understand fully why companies want to limit how much vacation time one can accrue. My employer allows us to have one-year’s worth of earned vacation time at the end of the year. Any amount in excess of that is automatically cashed out.

1 Like

That’s why many companies have went to unlimited. No liability

1 Like

I have no idea how a company could offer unlimited vacation without opening several cans of worms. However, I am not in charge of any company either.

1 Like

Most companies I’ve worked for give unlimited. If you don’t perform, you get fired.

I see that as ripe for abuse or people not taking much time off because they’re afraid of getting fired if they take too much time off.

If it’s abused they are fired. Most people use less time in an unlimited model.

The ability to be fired is a key pillar that needs to be installed before UPTO.

Some of these soft pussy tech companies don’t seem to be willing to fire anyone. That of course no longer applies at Twitter. :smiling_imp:

The government (at any level) is the last place unlimited PTO should ever be considered.

Some of these soft pussy tech companies don’t seem to be willing to fire anyone. That of course no longer applies at Twitter. :smiling_imp:

Mine does. Typically we just call it a layoff. It’s easier since we pay them to go away

I agree and doubt that will ever be the case at a state or federal level. A company would just fire somebody that doesnt come to work, not that easy for federal government employees.

It seems all but impossible for the government to fire someone.

I’ve seen it once in almost two decades.

There’s a LOT of people who should be fired, or at least know there is a realistic threat thereof.

OH…you see it at the local level ALL the time. As a matter of fact, I was almost fired. The reason I retired was because of a disciplinary act overy minor issue. But because of the timing of a software conversion, they needed me or else they would have fired me. So they just cut my pay by 25%. I opted to retire early because it would cost me way more in work expenses . I ran a spreadsheet and found that I could afford to pull the trigger early. So I did. As I got in my car to head home HR called and asked if I could stay on a couple of weeks to bring someone up to speed on the conversion. I told her that I was being reprimanded for not being worth the job I had done for 20 years. She said we’ll raise your pay back. I said thanks but no thanks.

In fact it got so bad that if an HR person was at our office, somebody was about to be let go. I joked that for Halloween they should dress as the grim reaper.

Come to think of it, cops do get fired sometimes when they make the news for bad conduct.

Admittedly my firsthand experience is all federal. Damn near impossible to fire someone there.

Slightly off topic, I looked at my leave balance today.

If, God forbid, I was in an accident or had some debilitating illness, I could get paid for almost 6 months without worrying about anything.

My wife hated it when I used to joke with her that I was saving mine for a heart attack or stroke.

I currently have 778.5 hours of sick time saved and 377 hours of vacation time. Which means I’m about to be in use it or lose it territory on vacation time.

I get 5 weeks vacation, 6 other days of PTO plus sick days and can carry over unused vacation days until April of the next year. I don’t understand not using vacation days and saving them up, unless you’re planning a long vacation.

I take at least one week long vacation a year, plus random days off. 2 months ago I took 3 days off just to go to the State Wrestling Tournament and help as an official scorer. I am taking 2 days off next month just for shits and giggles.
When I was younger I never called in sick and rarely took vacation, but now I use it even though it seems like I have so much, I earn about two days per month.

1 Like

I enjoyed my sick leave over the years, im generally a healthy guy. I did sell bacl 440 hours of annual leave when i retired, nice little golden parachute.