But it is transitionary

Again…a 25% tariff is still more cost effective than moving production back to the US. Indeed - Apple is a great example - we put a 25% tariff on goods from China, in a move that we hope will bring the jobs back to the US. Instead, production is shifted to places like China or India.

You know what KC was referfing to. He never called China a free market.

Do you have any examples of this. Note I am referring to just what you said: policies that bring production from overseas to the US.

Really?

I can be a smart ass sometimes.

Yes, really. As an example, is there any instance where a policy designed to bring production from China to the US was called racist towards Chinese.

I heard a lot about how Trump’s immigration policies were racist, but those were not designed to bring production from overseas to the US.

Does Boston University count (it shouldn’t, they gave AOC a minor in economics)?

Or others.

I think I remember reading both those articles. Or not.

Without commenting on the merits of that piece, I will just say that piece talks about the consequences of Trump’s decisions. It does not say anything about racist intents behind the decisions. In fact, if says this:

*I am in no way blaming Trump for the fact that trade policy hurt workers. This is long-standing. The impulse in the Trump administration of pulling out of trade agreements is understandable.

Edit to cite piece:

I read that piece, and getting past the charged headline the piece essentially says that a consequence of Trump’s policies is anti-Chinese sentiment in the US. I did not see anywhere where if said racism against the Chinese is behind these policies. I did see this snippet:

These political efforts to hedge against China are fueling anti-Chinese racism within the United States. The tenor of this racism, and its grip in mainstream politics, is expressed well by Christian Caryl, an opinions editor at The Washington Post , who warns that China has a ​“strategy to tap the huge ethnic Chinese diaspora in the United States and elsewhere as foot soldiers in China’s influence campaigns.” This image of an entire ​“ethnic diaspora” as a potential fifth column within U.S. society recalls the internment of Japanese-Americans in WWII.

Now, in fairness, I will acknowledge that you can find other articles with allusions to racism. Here is one:

I should modify my point to say that I do not recall widespread accusations of racism behind Trump’s trade policies.

I recall everything Trump did as being labeled as racist.

But, back to the original point of my thread.
The Biden Admin is gaslighting the public by making claims of an improving economy.
It is only improving because they fucked it up so much.

A bit of hyperbole there, eh?

Did the spending under both Bush terms, Obama, and Trump not have anything to do with inflation? YOu seem to be implying that Biden policies are responsible for inflation. How did Biden’s policies impact Canada, where they have “Justinflation”? What about inflation in Germany? Spain? Italy? The rest of the world? Inflation shot up during a supply chain problem exacerbated by a worldwide pandemic. Now it’s coming down. And somehow that’s a bad thing.

A little, admittedly, but not much.

Sure, the inflation from 2021 to 2023 is Bush’ fault.
I have three words.

FOR FUCKS SAKE

Oh…I’ll put you down in the “everything resets at the start of a new term” column. Bush spent…we never paid ti back. Obama spent…we never paid it back. So we combine Bush’s debt with Obama’s debt. Trump spent just as lavishly as Obama…we never paid that back. And that gets lumped in from the debt of his predecessors. . Then Biden gets elected and spends…triggering inflation. Sorry, I think that there is a lot a blame to go around. For. Fucks. Sake.

I will put you down as a “Biden isn’t responsible for anything while he is President”.

How about this (that you won’t agree with, but hey). Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden are responsible for inflation. And remember…if we want to talk about policies, one of Trump’s great policies was to spend like a drunken sailor.

How about this.
Bush, Obama, and Trump area all responsible for inflation.
Biden is responsible for historically bad inflation.

If you are going to point to the debt - none of them did anything to reduce it. They share responsibility.

I’m not, I am talking about inflation.

Hmm…I had always heard that spending and debt fed inflation. Oh well. Carry on.

I am not saying they aren’t a factor, but when that factor is constant, and inflation historically out of control, you need to remove that factor as a reason.