Best financial decisions you've made in your life

FIFY…

I am amazed at then number of conservatives who run a financial statement as a part of foreplay.

I’m amazed at how some people make bad decisions then expect other to pay for them. If you can’t feed them, don’t breed them.

Agreed. But that also means they ought to work to pay for them.

Exactly, people should be held accountable for their decisions. Unfortunately lefties reward bad behavior at the expense of taxpayers.

Yes we are in the process of adopting so we need to be creative at how we spend $$$ as we are likely to adopt a sibling duo or trio.

There’s a huge difference between buying them a new car on their 16th birthday and paying for prom, travel sports, horseback riding, private school, martial arts, and all school photos and not having any of that.

Back to the OP, my best decision was contributing to my 401k at 26. I started only doing 5% and them matching 5%. After 10 years, it has about $100,000 in it. I am now at 11%. Since we have about $1k/mo leftover or 20% of our income, we will have to be extremely frugal. Education is as huge priority

Good for you. I’m sure an adopted kid/kids will be happy having a stable home with parents that care about them. Pizza nite, movie night, a day at the beach with a picnic lunch or going to a small town fireworks show or summer fest will excite them. Spending quality time is more important than spending money IMO.

+1 definitely

I hope to offer a stable home. It’s sad that they likely had a very turbulent early life. That said, we will be more lucky to have them to offer a home to than they are.

I do like the picnic at the beach. Leave at dawn. Arrive at 10am. We are about 3.5 hr day trip to the Delaware beaches if we leave early.

We used to live in Frederick Md and they have a lot of fun activities. I love all your ideas.

I started with like $10 or $15 a paycheck over 30 years ago and increased that every time I got a raise. Recently my retirement savings topped seven figures and is continuing to grow nicely. Compounding interest and divided reinvestments is an amazing thing.

1 Like

That is really awesome. Hope to reach that club in 18-20 yrs.

Time makes all the difference. After my divorce I didn’t have the benefit of time, I was financially devastated with only 12 years before I’m forced into retirement. I essentially restarted planning for retirement and I’m saving over 30k per year to make up for lost time.

1 Like

Slightly personal question.
I understand why there would be an age limit on your job.
Are you “forced” into retirement or can you transfer?

I can attempt to get other federal employment, whether that’s within the FAA or forestry service. At 56 my ATC days are done.

But when I’m done I’m done, might coach cross country or assist single mothers between age of 29-39.

I think at 56 you may have better luck looking for GILF’s

I’m 53 and am flattered at how often I get hit on by women in their 30’s. It’s either daddy issues, my awesome beard or that I’m out going and fun. Unfortunately I’m happily married and wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize that.

Daddy issues has the 25 year olds hitting on you. A friend of mine is 57 and has a 26 year old gf, he’s out of a 27 year marriage so it works for him.

I don’t have a range of women I date but seem to get along best with women about 10 years younger than I am. But I’ve dated women older than me too.

Hang out at Costco and Trader Joe’s, I’ve been asked out several times while shopping there.

Worst financial, but best health related decision was getting out of the Army after 6 years.
I could have retired at 40 with a great pension, but I would have had the body of a 60 year old and my mental health would have suffered significantly.

Good luck and congrats on your savings habits

You must have a lot of transferable skills. That said helping single moms or the poor or needy is a great thing to do. Best wishes in your endeavors.

I wish we didn’t get on the wrong foot with politics.